Best Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by danothemano, Jul 13, 2017.

1. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Member

u got 5lawns all residential, largest quarter acre.

Between the 40 hour grind, ur looking for the most efficient mower to get the job done without ripping your body up, yet cover the most ground you can in the most time effcient manner

Now, the kicker, one client has a 30.5" gate, yes, 30.5", really?. All other gates are 36"+.

So.. I want a new mower, upgrade the toro 30", I have it narrowed down, no convincing me otherwise, it's down to these to, one brand, two different models

The sarlo big mo, the hydro has me sold. Now.. sarlo 30 would be the jack of all trades, but there's the sarlo 34, is this legit to tip into a 30.5" gate, this property has me paranoid!

Wwdtmd? What would dano the Mano do?..

2. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

No way would I buy a piece of equipment to cater to one client. Drop that lawn - get a bigger mower so you can get your 4 other lawns done twice as fast. Then you'll have room to add more lawns & make more $$ in the same amount of time.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

36" hydro if it will fit your gates. Make sure as not all 36" mowers are the same . Tight gates can often be lifted off if you swap a hinge. Forget a single hydro. You have to physically turn the mower . I'd take a belt 36" first.

4. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Member

When I started in 2009 Cub Cadet had a 33" WB in most box stores... Decent for the price (<1500) but no way would I ever buy another belt driven. With the amount of lawns you have now it may work but when I passed 20 lawns it seemed the thing was always breaking down or throwing a belt.

I recommend getting a Scag hydro then upgrading to a stander if things take off. I also agree with the post to not buy a piece of equipment for one lawn. I'd say 99% of people have gates that allow for 36" mowers to pass through.

Bcoogan23 and dishboy like this.
  5. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Texas

If the 1 yard wants to keep you. It's a opportunity to sale them a gate and install. Always use every opstical as a opportunity to make your company more $$ .

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Keep your 30 for that one back yard. Upgrade to a 34ztr, 36 Dual hydro wb, 36 stander is by far most productive. Unless your sure you can tip a bigger deck I would avoid it as it gets to be a pain. I have Dario 30s and they are the bomb if you don't mind a jog in high gear.

Bcoogan23 likes this.
  7. Allabouttheyard

Allabouttheyard LawnSite Member

Agree with RDA. I have widened several customer gates so I can fit my Walker in their back yards.

Bcoogan23 and RDALawns like this.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic