Best Mulching Z for St Augustine Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FloridaCutter, Jan 12, 2014.

1. FloridaCutter

FloridaCutter LawnSite Member

I am in Daytona and we don't have a lot of Scags around here. I think it is all how they are marketed in different areas. The dealer that sells Scag is really a John Deere dealer , so you know who they are pushing.

Dixie Chopper was huge about 7-8 years back, until the same dealer started pushing Exmarks and now 80% of large services have them.

I found that pitch is the most overlooked service on a mower. it makes a big difference.

2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing like an exmark on St. Augustine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

What mower were you using when you found out your gator blades and mulching kit didn't work well for you?

4. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

What kind of blades are you guys using? With the Exmark I was under the impression you had to run the wavy mulch blades.

5. wright stander.

the gators work with a plate but not kit. gators are really made for side discharge
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. i remember as a kid in the 90s always seeing DC everywhere. the only ones i see now are old and beat up. wright has become very popular here as well as exmark. lots of scag too
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Silver Member

Do gator blades chop up grass smaller going out the discharge chute?

8. Ready to Mow

That's what I hate about the standard blades that come oem. It gets cut once and out the chute it goes.

9. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

The john deere 7 iron will cut grass wet or dry beautiful . It won't clump in wet grass and still leave an excellent cut.

10. Ready to Mow

I find that if you're going fast enough it generally disperses better than when going slow, unless it's super thick. It never clumps, just leaves long grass clippings on the grass.