Lawn Care Forum banner

Best of the Best ZTR's

Tags
best ztr ztr
18K views 66 replies 38 participants last post by  fireman gus 
#1 ·
Ok moving from phoenix to oklahoma, i notice a big difference in ztrs out here. In phoenix I had the exmark 52 and now that just looks like crap out here. Anyways im looking at the John Deere Z520A 60 in deck for most of my commercials and larger residentials. What would you guys recommend for a ztr for my smaller properties. This Z520A is huge. Thanks for all the help.

#2 ·
You might want to hold off on the deere, they are having a LOT of problems with the new ones. The tech at the dealer here told me they are coming back by the droves and are having lots of problems with them and is taking months to get the parts also. Exmark, Toro, scag are all good mowers to name a few. Nothing leaves the quality cut of an exmark. However, you will get a bunch of different opinions on here. Most important thing is dealer support, no matter what brand it is.

#4 ·
I will back up good mowers even if I don't sell them. But I can't stand a Deere. Overrated overpriced, and under engineered. See a local Hustler Dealer.

#6 ·
I will back up good mowers even if I don't sell them. But I can't stand a Deere. Overrated overpriced, and under engineered. See a local Hustler Dealer.
See a local hustler dealer for what reason? So he can buy an over priced mower that doesnt leave a nice cut like the 7 Iron does? Hustler is a joke in my mind. There have been way to many posts on here with cut quality issues and hydro issues etc etc from hustler owners. I agree the NEW deere mowers are junk but the 7 Iron deck is second to none and MILES better than hustlers decks.

#7 ·
I must say out of all the ZTR's I have owned the original John Deere 7-Iron deck was the best deck we have ever owned. Depending on the market I think John Deere has came down on their prices. In my 10 years commercial mowing I have done all my repairs, and so I find the need for good dealer support low on my list. Then again I hold a low respect for most ZTR dealers anyway their all out to screw you. Dealers tend to not like a well engineered ZTR you can fix yourself???? if need be.

#10 ·
See a local hustler dealer for what reason? So he can buy an over priced mower that doesnt leave a nice cut like the 7 Iron does? Hustler is a joke in my mind. There have been way to many posts on here with cut quality issues and hydro issues etc etc from hustler owners. I agree the NEW deere mowers are junk but the 7 Iron deck is second to none and MILES better than hustlers decks.
Key words in your mind. There are forums up here about every mower bad and good. Keep these kinds of statements to yourself. I don't like Gravely but I'm not talking smack about them.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

#13 ·
Key words in your mind. There are forums up here about every mower bad and good. Keep these kinds of statements to yourself. I don't like Gravely but I'm not talking smack about them.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:
I will bad mouth hustler all I want. Till they design a better deck that cuts northern grass well they are useless to me. 24 years in this business and I have seen a grand tottal of 1 hustler on a trailer in our area. We have a hustler dealer 2 miles from us and I laughed in his face last spring when he quoted me prices.

Whats not to like about gravely? They are built like tanks and they cut good in all conditions. We have owned mowers from just about every big brand and we always return to gravely.

#14 ·
Price? Hustler makes one of the Cheapest Commercial mowers out there. But I assume he would say Gravely makes the cheapest and best mower. If that were the case how come they aren't number 1 in nation wide sales?:laugh: I guess a company like Toro and Exmark(who is number 1 in sales) doesn't know what their doing.:dizzy:

The last time I checked their fastest growing competition was Hustler, especially with Hustler now producing Golf Course Equipment. So they must be doing something right.:weightlifter:

Nothing makes me madder than someone voicing there opinion as if it were FACT!!!

I believe Hustler, Toro, Exmark, Gravely and Scag all make good mowers. But when were spending $6,000-12,000 dollars we want the best. That's why we compare.

#16 · (Edited)
Price? Hustler makes one of the Cheapest Commercial mowers out there. But I assume he would say Gravely makes the cheapest and best mower. If that were the case how come they aren't number 1 in nation wide sales?:laugh: I guess a company like Toro and Exmark(who is number 1 in sales) doesn't know what their doing.:dizzy:

The last time I checked their fastest growing competition was Hustler, especially with Hustler now producing Golf Course Equipment. So they must be doing something right.:weightlifter:

Nothing makes me madder than someone voicing there opinion as if it were FACT!!!

I believe Hustler, Toro, Exmark, Gravely and Scag all make good mowers. But when were spending $6,000-12,000 dollars we want the best. That's why we compare.
Sorry, Ron Bad Boy got everyone beat on price & quality, Frankly I was not impressed with Hustler Super Z, when I drove up with the big AOS diesel the dealer was like WOW:dizzy:, and had to finally gave the Bad Boy praise. See most dealers are seeing the Tractor Supply BB pup out their; which is no different that Hustler selling their low end ZTR's at Sam's

#17 ·
Sorry, Ron Bad Boy got everyone beat on price
I bet with using Briggs Engines and less deck and frame quality. Not to mention much smaller Pumps. But for the money I will agree they are good mowers. But not to be compared with the big market names.

As for ProStreetCamaro check out the NEW XR-7 decks. 6" deep not to mention overkill construction. As for your local dealer maybe he's trying to get full retail. Down in the south we know better. Retail is a fantasy. It's like thinking I'm going to bring home my gross paycheck.

#18 · (Edited)
I bet with using Briggs Engines and less deck and frame quality. Not to mention much smaller Pumps. But for the money I will agree they are good mowers. But not to be compared with the big market names.

As for ProStreetCamaro check out the NEW XR-7 decks. 6" deep not to mention overkill construction. As for your local dealer maybe he's trying to get full retail. Down in the south we know better. Retail is a fantasy. It's like thinking I'm going to bring home my gross paycheck.
BB has the widest selection of engines & engine brands, liquid cooling, air cooled, diesel. In the past ZTR companies hog tie you with limited power options

The BB frame is the strongest in the industry period, deck too at 3/4" thick deck thicker than Scag or 7-Iron. At least do some more research on the enemy:laugh:

I also can call BB directly for any parts or questions no middle man(dealer), and free shipping to my shop. That is unheard of in this industry, directly dealing with the Company or a BB engineers, and they answer their phones:clapping: I also have two local BB dealers within driving range, but I have no need for them. I love the underdog, or the new top of the food chain mower:laugh:

#19 ·
Bad boys are only that thick on the front side and an XR-7 deck kills that in thickness. Maybe you should do some research. And they also over a wide variety of engines Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda, and Shibaura diesel. Not to mention air cooled, liquid cooled, and fuel injected options. Trust me I research all my competition.

But Nosparkplugs I'm going to stop this. Because you don't know when. There's no winning with you. You think you right about everything and its expected from you. I will say some things you are right about, but most are just opinions. And opinions are like arse wholes everyone has one and some are just bigger than others.

#20 ·

Are you saying that the Briggs vanguard Big Blocks are cheaper, inferior engines to the Kohler 30 HP engines that Hustler offers on their Super Z? If so, that sounds like an opinion, not based on fact. MY opinion on that is; I would put the quality and reliability of the Big Block Vanguard engines up against the 30 HP Kohler any day. What is the price difference between the 2 engines. Have you looked at the deck and frame on the AOS Model Bad Boy and checked the thickness of the frame rails or performed a "Rockwell Hardness" check on the metal in the frames or deck? If not, what experience have you had with the Bad Boy AOS model to qualify that statement. Are the pumps too small to hold up to the 15 mph speed requirements in the long term? Also, for what its worth, their top 2 models, the AOS and Lightning series have a wide variety of engine choices, including Kawasaki engines. How is that inferior to the "big market names"? I agree that the jury is still out on the cut quality of the decks, but that is somthing that they improve with each new deck. Even the "Big Market Names" have all built and used decks that had their own issues with cut quality. Time will certainly tell whether Bad Boy will become one of the "Big Market Names"

#21 ·
Bad boys are only that thick on the front side and an XR-7 deck kills that in thickness. Maybe you should do some research. And they also over a wide variety of engines Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda, and Shibaura diesel. Not to mention air cooled, liquid cooled, and fuel injected options. Trust me I research all my competition.

But Nosparkplugs I'm going to stop this. Because you don't know when. There's no winning with you. You think you right about everything and its expected from you. I will say some things you are right about, but most are just opinions. And opinions are like arse wholes everyone has one and some are just bigger than others.
Ron The one Dealer I use locally, sells Walkers, Grasshopper, Hustler, and some Butons. The Super Z with the 30hp Kohler was dang near the price of the AOS diesel:laugh: the BB ADS deck is a soild 3/4" steel thats the enitre deck, not just the front edge. Tell me why Hustler put the XR-7 deck grease zerks under the deck whats the point??, if theirs zerks it needs to be greased routinely, sometimes more often than you might change blades, so it's a bad design:laugh:. The Dealer was like stuttering :dizzy: on that BS feature

Locally the Hustler dealer hates the weak Shibaura diesel option, it's hp/torque are equal to a Big block gasburner:laugh: also their not qualified to work on it either, are you????, and they liked the Cat diesel option better. So Hustler was dead for me. I looked at the Hustler their a good ZTR, but not what I was looking for or the biggest bang for the buck:nono:

If I shut up, you just keep talking smack, so my goal is to cancel the BS with the truth?? you just a biased Hustler Dealer wanting free Lawnsite propaganda reign. I am a end-user :laugh:

#22 ·

I know your thinking, where we are in the south a Super Z gives a very good cut at a very fast speed with controls and ride (flex forks and flex seat) second to none.

The BB AOS 35 Cat powered mower rides equally as well due to weight and full four wheel torsion rubber suspension. The controls and maneuverability of the Super Z surpass the AOS, but for comfort and productivity there is not a mower in this class able to compare with either of these machines.

Go to the northern areas of the country and Exmark or Walker will give a more manicured cut in plush, moisture laden limp bladed grass. These are the reason people prefer different mowers in different areas, but this does not make one any better than the other, it is only different applications.

I personally have no need for a manicured cut, I have need for a good cut at a very fast speed with very high productivity. This gives me the most grass cut for the least amount of money spent in fuel and maintenance.

For all you people that are in doubt of what a BB is capable of, you need to demo a 35 hp Cat powered AOS and get the biggest surprise of your life. I am only talking about the 35 AOS, nothing else, when comparing always compare the best to the best. You will be sitting on a machine with the feel of floating across the ground at a speed of 15 mph and cutting grass with very good results.

Everyone has there own opinions, that is what makes the world go around. This does not mean one is actually any better than another, it is only a issue of personal preference in different applications.

#23 · (Edited)
Funny BAD BOY ADVERTISES ONLY 1/4" deck thickness not 3/4" on their website. Don't believe me check it out.

http://www.badboymowers.com/view/30

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO SPARK PLUGS don't false advertise. Mind you that Hustler Triple plates the top side of their decks where each cast iron spindle mounts. 7-ga steel base, then 10 GA, then another 7-ga steel ring on top. WOW THAT's MUCH THICKER THAN 1/4" ISN"T IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 · (Edited)
This Z520A is huge. Thanks for all the help.
The Z520A is one of the smallest of their Z-Trak mowers.
I don't know if they are having the same problems with them
as the bigger 800 series has. Maybe a 757 JD would be a better choice.

The best of the best ? .....
I would put Hustler, eXmark, Grasshopper, Toro, Scag, Ferris and
the JD 700 seris at the top.

Middle would be Gravely, Bunton, Dixie Chopper, Bob Cat, Bad Boy and some others.

Bottom would be Cub Cadet.

#26 ·
Funny BAD BOY ADVERTISES ONLY 1/4" deck thickness not 3/4" on their website. Don't believe me check it out.

http://www.badboymowers.com/view/30

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO SPARK PLUGS don't false advertise. Mind you that Hustler Triple plates the top side of their decks where each cast iron spindle mounts. 7-ga steel base, then 10 GA, then another 7-ga steel ring on top. WOW THAT's MUCH THICKER THAN 1/4" ISN"T IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me correct myself BB decks are 1/4" or 3 gauge thick:laugh: So their is no need for triplating, or multiple layers of steel. like the rest:nono:

John Deere 7-Iron is 3/16" or 7 gauge

Yes I was incorrect on 3/4" for that I appoligize; however Bad Boy still has the thickest decks at 1/4" or 3 gauge on the market period

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.