Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tree ring is awful and I need to make it look pretty.

The root system runs all the way around and out so metal edging and live edging is a no go. My preference would be boulders simply because I maintain the property and I can make sure that weeds will not appear.

What are my options?
Car Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle

Plant Sky Leaf Tree Branch

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 thoughts

1. I like the stone edge, although I’d expand it out as it looks like a rather large clump river binot be pleasing to have such a small area.

2. expand the bed where it’s more in scale to the tree, not huge, but bigger than it is.

3. level snd sod the area with grass, again since the tree has grown significantly.
I did a smaller rock ring before and it came out nice. This one would be a fun little project for me.
Make the edge as good as you can and mulch away. River birches have a lot of shallow roots, any edging in the ground doesn’t work very well.
The amount of branches that fall off each week is crazy and their is another one in the backyard but that one is inside of a rock bed.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's in there in the picture? Hostas?
Yes but they have been eaten by bunnies so they never grow back.
1- I'm of mind to still try a live edge, and leave the surface roots visible, given they're aren't too many to make the edge look bad.

2- In the background, I see some kind of wooden edge around that arborvitae. Any way you could find a similar cedar/cypress wood stake border around those trees?
The background is the neighbors yard, which I also mow.
Plant variegated liriope around edge, about 1 foot back, edge the bed deep as you can, about 4" deep and make it a circle again, fill in more hostas' and add mulch.....
The roots go out far edging it is not an option at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts