Best or Ideal agigator

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by woodlawnservice, Feb 9, 2019.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the best agitator I can either make or buy for my 200 gal. skid sprayers? jet agitation nozzle that is? my current one stinks and I need something that's got some flow behind it. comet aps 41 pump that pushes 11 gpm..

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm...mysterious, 11 gpm should be plenty to power an agitation nozzle. Check this: how many gallons per minute come out of your agitation hose? When spraying with the gun? When not spraying?
    https://mkrittenhouse.com/us/catalogsearch/result/?q=agitation+nozzle

However, you need two agitation lines. All sprayer setups have agitation flow on the discharge from the PRV (pressure relief valve). Proper sprayers also have a separate high pressure tube with a ball valve coming off near the pump outlet (before the PRV) and going directly to the tank and the agitation nozzles. Open the valve to direct all 11 gallons flow from your pump to the agitation nozzle. Actually, put a tee on the pipe inside the tank and you can connect two at a time. In fact, if you want four agitation nozzles--why not?

If you do not want to cut another hole in the tank--use a pipe tee and combine the flow from the agitation valve and the PRV discharge. Crack the agitation valve partially open to the agitation level that suits you.

Naturally, if the hatch is small,it is difficult to reach inside the tank to install extra agitation nozzles. Use plastic tubing for this, if needed.
    In my system, I had four agitation nozzles aimed in the same direction. This caused the tank solution to swirl.

I did not want to cut another hole in my tank that might leak. And I have short arms. I cut the hole in the top of my tank--near the hatch opening. Installed a through-tank fitting and hose nipple. Inside the tank I had installed stiff black plastic irrigation tubing to carry the flow to the bottom of the tank--where I installed the four agitation nozzles.

https://mkrittenhouse.com/us/catalogsearch/result/?q=agitation+nozzle

woodlawnservice likes this.
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Some jet agitator nozzles need an orifice disc that is matched to the size of the pump and tank. I use this in my spray tank,
    Replacing the plastic discs with a D 6 ceramic disc. This is on the end of a PVC pipe that goes through bulkhead fitting at the top of the tank and is connected to a tee on the pressure side of the D30 pump. I control flow with a ball valve. The bypass from the pressure regulation valve goes straight into another bulkhead. Agitation devices do not belong on the end of the bypass line.[​IMG]

hort101 likes this.
  4. greendoctor

This piece is placed on an elbow fitting so the liquid sweeps from one end of the tank to the far end. When in operation, there is an obvious swirl to the liquid.

hort101 likes this.
  5. woodlawnservice

So how many nozzles.. one, two, or the one which has 3 or 4 on it spraying in different directions.

6. woodlawnservice

And placement It's hard to get in my tank, my current one comes up from the b
    Middle of the bottom of the tank to about 12" about the bottom with the nozzle.

7. greendoctor

One at the far end of the tank. Bulkhead is installed at the top of the tank. Elbow at the end of the pipe so the agitator is parallel with the tank. Idea is to make the stream sweep the bottom of the tank.

8. woodlawnservice

Intake is bottom center of the tank, agitation is middle bottom right now. Bulkhead anyhow.. then bypass comes on from the side about 12" from bottom. I'd like to use existing bulkheads if possible.

9. greendoctor

Not possible. I am less worried about drilling the top of the tank vs sides or bottoms of a tank. Do you have this right now with the end plugged? I remember helping someone that had this as their agitator. I ended up re doing their plumbing so the agitation line was not from their bypass line. I also remember getting a new agitator nozzle so I could fit the orifice in there. With an 11 GPM pump, you need the smallest orifice that comes with the nozzle. [​IMG]

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You say your present nozzle stinks. Sounds like you do not have good pressure, nor enough gallons per minute flow. Are you trying to dissolve granular fertilizer? (If so that is a whole different situation.) Maybe your pump is not working right. Double check that the gallons per minute at the pump is adequate. Is the motor at idle or 3000 rpm? How many gallons per minute do you get when spraying? At what pressure? Is your filter on the suction side plugged? Debris caught in the agitation nozzle?
    Do you have long arms? Modifications could be difficult if you cannot reach the plumbing from the open hatch. Four agitation nozzles spraying in different directions should be good--but only if the pressure is strong.
    When the tank is low, can you see the pressure regulator bypass flow? Does it squirt about 6 to 12 inches out or does it just dribble out? You are not supposed to put an agitation nozzle on this bypass--pump people do not recommend this--but lots of people do it.