Best over ear ear protection.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cam15, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Gold Member

I've been using harbor freight cheapos. Looking for something with better noise blocking power. Also kinda interested in a Bluetooth so I can listen to music. What does everybody else use?

Bumpmaster and sjessen like this.
  2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

I use 3m digital worktunes.

I also have a different brand I got at Lowes, that is a digital radio, but also bluetooth capable. I dont really use these, as it eats through batteries like crazy.

firecutgrass, tdoeizreal and Cam15 like this.
  3. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Member

I use a high quality face shield/earmuff combo that I got at my local saw shop most of the time.

When I'm doing something that I don't worry about protecting my eyes like just mowing, I use the more expensive Harbor freight earmuffs, or I use disposable ear plugs when it's really hot. I'm looking into getting the 3m worktunes. I specialize in small yards, so it's not often that I spend more than 10 minutes behind my mower, but I do have a few bigger accounts, and I wouldn't mind them for stuff like big leaf or hedge jobs.

I will say this......You only get one set of ears. The higher price of good hearing protection is worth it. I've had issues with both hearing loss and tinnitus since I was in my early 20's from shooting guns as a kid with no hearing protection. If my dad was still alive, I would kick him in the nuts for taking me shooting with no hearing protection as a kid. I wouldn't wish the tinnitus on my worse enemy, which is why I'm very protective of my ears these days. I won't use any product for power equiptment that is rated below 23NRR and for shooting anything bigger than a 22, I use both 27NRR earplugs combined with my 23 NRR earmuffs for an NRR rating of about 30.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Stihl made a good one. Don't know if they are now like they were made 8 years ago or so.

5. lawnmanppark

lawnmanppark LawnSite Member

just make sure you get it with sufficient decibal reduction anything over 30 is what I buy in earplugs I used to use ear muffs but you have to replace padding and stuff overtime I chose earplugs because with workers earmuffs would get expensive sometimes I forget to get the earplugs the only time I make sure is hedge trimming and blowing

sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  6. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have shooter's earmuffs bought from a sporting goods store. I use them over 3M ear plugs when runing the ztr. Doing my best to keep what hearing I have after too many years of noise exposure.

cold-beer, sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  7. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

3M Peltor Hearing Protection - X5A - Over-the-Head Earmuffs - 31 dB -

Brucey, sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  8. Anthony Divit

Anthony Divit LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I had bought the mpow jaws bluetooth headphones for $22 from amazon. I had them over a year and they are great. I listen to audiobooks and can hear great. For the price and they clip back onto the neck holder they are great.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

10. OP
    OP
    Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Gold Member