1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Best Place to be in business as an LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'd agree with McLean & Great Falls Virginia.. Potomac MD also. I believe a solo operator could do $100K+ easily in these areas.

2. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Yep a solo guy could easy make 100k WITHOUT doing any snow.

3. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

I personally know a guy that makes 125k per yer. I saw the tax returns. He doesn't do any snow, leaves, or clean ups.

Works March-Nov. and sleeps in the winter like Jim Lewis. LOL:D :D :D

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually, Fairfield County, Ct. Where David Letterman lives, an all the other rich folk....

Shhhhh you don’t need to be telling everyone that secret I have enough competition already. Actually Greenwich Ct is in Fairfield County as is Weston and about 10 other high-end towns. You know small houses 10,000-75,000 square foot houses not lawns. Fairfield is considered to be the wealthiest county in the entire world that’s actually true more then Beverly Hills could dream of. Where do you think all the stock market gods live? The ones that don’t live in White Plains live in CT.

5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I'm quite happy here on Bainbridge Island. Money is good, customers are pleasant and pay on time, and I'm surrounded by woods on most properties. To top that, fresh, clean air and on most days I will have bald eagles flying overhead. Home prices are ridiculous but I was able to find a small place on an acre. I picked up an estate in Medina this winter so I have been commuting two days a week for service (year round). Other than that, I stay on my little island.

Sure it's a little soggy for a few months (read: seasons), but like you mentioned, you cannot beat our summers. I've only lived here for a little over two years and I have to say summer's are the best kept secret.

It's no coincidence that Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Tully's all started up here! I live on liquid speed! (Oh, and my Grudens (sp?) raingear!)

6. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Popsicle,I was wondering why Washington State is the #1 apple producer.It's the climate! I used to pick apples for 25 yrs,love orchards! Retired from that, lawn work and landscaping much easier at 10 times the money! I would say no. virginia but I have not expanded that far yet.

7. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

My bad, I meant west. A man would have trouble mowing grass an hour east.

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in staten island, New York city.. Conditions aren't ideal to work in, with the winters and even worst the traffic, but its very crowded and nobody ever wants to lift a finger. I could honestly say 7 out of 10 houses have landscapers providing maintenance. There's so much work that I see it being turned down all the time because companies are too busy. Alot of friends in the biz then send it my way, or I get calls because everyone is too busy to even come do an estimate. even me as a smaller LCO, i get bombarded, and have the option of giving a higher estimate at the time. I'm going into my 6th season with my route getting bigger every year, just under 100 accounts weekly in the peak of the summer, and I haven't advertised in 3 years. I guess I could go nuts like some guys here and get a few routes going and build up faster, but I like to have a handle on things.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the Outer Banks. Of couse I may be prejudiced! Lots of high end real estate here. Plenty of work to go around. Long season. More and more million dollar+ homes going up every day.

10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm from Raleigh, NC and can't complain. This is a very good area for work, and the market doesn't seem to be too flooded with LCO's as there is constantly new construction for houses and office buildings. RTP really helps this area, there are lots of people who have decent jobs that just don't want to fool with having to do yard work. I pretty much get to pick what I charge for things because I am always having calls come in for new work (sometimes I even have to turn down stuff cause im busy). The winters aren't that long here but give us enough break to work on equipment, take vacations, and just enjoy the holiday season.