Best Place to be in business as an LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 5, 2004.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'll stay where I'm at for the time being...

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ha, I've driven that stretch. You'd better like doing hedges and trees, because that's most of the work, the lawns are fairly small. And parking looks like a nightmare, tiny drives and backing out into traffic with high hedges at the road.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Rod you'd better damn well stay where you are....you have lived in Joysee waaayyyy too long and as a result your skin has gotten at least 2 inches thick in order to withstand the rude and obnoxious Joysee-ites behavior...you'd be really out of place in the Outer Banks....you;d be looking for an argument just to make yourself feel at home...

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually the traditional south florida latinos, the Cubans, aren't the ones doing the lawn maintenance work. It's recently arrived immigrants from other central/south american nations. And those are in Large numbers in ANY city in most of the country.

Nearly all the big companies I see doing the commercial, HOA, and multi-family type properties use latino crews. But I have noticed that in more rural areas I don't see that trend. The big companies probably want to stick to where they can get dense routes and low drive time and don't want to bother with outlying individual residentials. Also, they base where their workers live. In cities.

I prefer to mow only myself so I'm HOPING the south florida suggestion turns out to be true. It's in the mid 80's here in February, the grass grows some all year round, and the average home price is higher than in Atlanta, where I worked and where I never lacked for customers. I'm in Palm Beach County, which is much more affluent than some parts of Florida, so hopefully that will offset some of the sad tales of woe I'm hearing about low prices in other less populated areas. .

Then again, people might want to pay less per cut since they need so many more cuts. I'm hearing 42/year and I agree that looks like what it needs based on my observations. I was doing 22 (Bermuda) to 36 (tall fescue) back in Atlanta, but the average was somewhere in between.

Anyone have any information on how prices are in suburban areas of South Florida?

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

ANY place but here ..... I mean it's 72 degrees sunny with a lite brezy out right now ..... I'll never get that plow out ;->

BUT I do have 4 guys out mowing right now ..... n ther making $15.50 per yard very much thank you

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I like working where I am right now.. I don't think I'll ever leave this area :)

I do live near Rochester, but never really go into the city and I hate it when I do have to.. Too many people and no view!

I work in alot of the smaller, less populated areas where the income levels are higher. Most of my customers live in Pittsford, Mendon, and Victor which are all very upscale towns.

This is a view from one of the properties I maintain... What more could I ask for?!

picture 274.jpg

7. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Nort western New Jersey is pritty good place to have it. Nice size lawns and lazy office workers with a couple of bucks in their pocket. Its good because of the large lawns in the summer and the good amount of snow we get in the winter works out well with the nice long driveways.

8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Bronze Member

Houston TX........ do research and you will see this is the answer.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

new jersey. who the hell wants to work year round? are u nuts? jersey is great. you can take a 15 minute ride in a straight line, in that 15 min, pass through a ghetto, a middle class area, a rich area, and a filthy rich area. in 15 min u can be at the beach, a landfill, a refinery, or a state prison. in 15 min you can have bottles thrown at your car, middle fingers flipped at you, buy some weed, or a date for the night. you can sit in a lounge which ranges in class from a back alley crap game, to a nightclub with a piano player. you can act like a prick, and no one notices, they're all pricks too. my vote is new jersey.

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you continue to be a real piece of work BG...