1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Best Pressure Washer for residential use only.

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by Dem79lawns, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Dem79lawns

Dem79lawns LawnSite Member

I figured I would ask this to the Pros for the best response. I assume you guys know best. I borrowed a old beat up pressure washer from a friend. I am not sure what make it was but it did run a Honda engine. The thing was on on its last leg, but I gave it a shot and got awesome results. I was worried the thing was going to crap out on me and I would feel obligated to buy my buddy a new one, but it held up for the job. My neighbors are having so pros do work for them around my neighborhood and they are charging around 3 or 4 hundred bucks. I just feel like I would get better use out of actually owning one. The things I would be using it for are sidewalks (I have about 70 yards), garage floor, deck, and truck under carriage. I am sure family will be also borrowing the thing for their odds and ends. This is basically what I have lined up now and I am sure other small jobs will also come up. I would really like to spend less than $400.00 for the thing. Like I said I am not looking for anything commercial, jut something thats going to be used a few times a year. The Generacs look pretty Onewash looks pretty good, but I wanted some opinions. Any ideas as I am starting research now. Thank you. :usflag:

2. Hill Lawn Care

Hill Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Honda engines are good stuff, cat pumps are nice as well. Sounds like you'll be doing a lot of flat work. I would suggest a surface cleaner, turbo nozzle and a min of 3,000 PSI. For your price range your best bet would be Craigslist. As for brands I couldn't really tell ya. Just make sure it has a decent pump. Also if you plan on using chemicals downstream injection or get a soap shooter. If you have a Northern Tool in your area I'd suggest you swing in there and check out their stock.

3. OP
    OP
    Dem79lawns

I am steering clear of Craigslist reason being the used ones I have seen on there are beat to death and like 20 bucks off retail. Thus isn't a major investment so I am looking to go new first owner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Grassholes likes this.
  4. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Well, $400 can just barely get you a new washer with a Honda engine if you wait for end of season clearance and get lucky, but that won't cover getting anything with a Cat pump (it would barely pay for the pump itself). I'm a homeowner with an Excell with a Honda engine, and the Excell (and most other pumps you see at HD) are pretty much disposable. Still, it's served me well for a number of years.

5. Hill Lawn Care

I also use an Excell commercial series with a cat pump. Works pretty well but I got mine off Craigslist and the OP doesn't like that idea.

6. OP
    OP
    Dem79lawns

Any thoughts on the Onewash?

7. OP
    OP
    Dem79lawns

Also pressure washers for under 400 with a Honda engine are a HOMELITE and a Simpson.

8. Hill Lawn Care

Not heard of onewash but heard a few good things about Simpson...but that was a model that runs 999$+
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. OP
    OP
    Dem79lawns

I sometimes have remind myself while reading on this site to remember that I am in the company of professionals. Sometimes as a residential owner you get the "bigger is better" opinion forced on you. I came to the site originally trying to find out information on a residential mower. I ended up spending about 1000 more than what I budgeted for. In the long run I know it was well worth it. Did I need it, probably not, but I don't think I will be buying another mower in my lifetime (no kidding aside). I would read posts and talk to people that wanted me to basically finance a small car which was completely unnecessary. I came up with the price celling of 400 dollars for the pressure washer because for 300 I could have a professional come to my house and do the work for me. Granted its a one time thing, but I assume I would be using this thing maybe 3 or 4 times a season at best so to drop a grand is probably not the best idea financially for me.

10. Hill Lawn Care

No doubt, I understand. You gotta do what you gotta do. I do a lot of pressure washing (it's one of my main services besides lawns). So, I'll just answer you directly. If I had $400 to spend on a NEW unit what would I buy from HomeDepot, Lowes, or Northern Tool. P.S. You know what I use so this is just me looking at specs and talking outloud.

Lowes

Other then that anything around 2800-3000 PSI with 2.5-3 GPM will do you right in price range and power. Just pick whatever makes you happy in those ranges.