1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Best selling rider of all time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Feb 23, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just wondering if this isn't the best selling mower (riding) mower of all time. They ran ok, parts were cheap, I know it wasn't commercial but they sure did sell a lot of these. I guess Walmart gave them the boot and put them out of business. Back before I mowed commercially I ran some of these cheap mowers for years on my own property, treated them rough, and though they were basically a piece of junk they just seemed to keep ticking (like a timex). Just wondering how many of these were sold before they disappeared.

Murry.jpg

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I see those in (rundown) trailer parks all the time, usually with flat tire..

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, I ran one for about 12 years one time and I was very hard on it. I think a battery and spindle were about the only thing I worked on. They were junk but it's amazing how many units were sold. Of course I was just mowing my 3 acres.

4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

my grandad swore by them. he went through three of them in about 15 years. Then I bought a Cub Cadet and then Cub Cadet was the best thing since sliced bread as far as he was concerned. He's gone now but I still have that little Cub out here in the garage. Grandpa was hard on that mower. It looks like crap. The deck is shot. I just use it as a little tractor around the yard with the trailer picking up sticks and putting out mulch and things. Being a hydrostat withe the pedals, its easy for the wife to use when she's planting flowers in the spring. I will agree though, in the South, that was the mower of choice. I'd say Huskees at TSC have taken their place.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I still have a Murray 18 HP - 46" cut garden tractor. Mine has been a good one . Batteries, spindle bearings and a drag link are the things which have been replaced. Bought it new back in 1995.

It is just a back up unit now for around the yard (1-1/4 acres).

Nosmo

6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a good number of them around here. See them in the shop all the time. Red, black, green, and grey versions.

7. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

In my tri state area it seems like I've seen more sears craftsman mowers around than anything.....Heck my parents bought one when I was 12 and I finally killed it last summer. I was 27....so that thing took 15 years of abuse.

8. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

there was alot of the little red snapper rear engine riders sold 20-30 years ago.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

When I was in high school I worked for Wal mart. I bet i sold 5 of those on a weekend. Man did those things sell like hot cakes. LOL Wal Mart would store use one of those every couple years to mow their property. 4 acres with a 38" deck, it would take a licken and keep on tickin. We would move pallets of river rock with it. Run a pallet jack under the pallet and hook a chain to the jack and to the Murray. It would pull it but 2 guys had to sit on the hood of the tractor to keep the front end down. I know very stupid idea but I was only 16.:rolleyes:

10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

For a home owner not commercial.:waving: