Best set of safety gear

Discussion in 'Tree Care Safety' started by LawnCareBowling2019, Aug 18, 2019.

1. LawnCareBowling2019

LawnCareBowling2019 LawnSite Member

Well I've got the basics of lawn care down pat, and have been given a 14 inch chainsaw by mother and step father, that we found in their garage. So now I want to learn tree care for the fall. What is the best set of safety gear, and any tips, for a 14 inch McCulloch eager beaver chainsaw.

2. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

My best tip for you is to drain the gas and oil out of that relict. Replace spark plug with a lightbulb and make a lamp out of it

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    LawnCareBowling2019

But it was never used, I got it started up

4. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Don’t use that chainsaw I would recommend getting a Stihl or even an Echo... That is a terrible saw, but if you decide to use it, do as the previous poster advised.

In terms of safety gear, always eye protection, helmet with face shield and ear protection, as well as assless chaps that are intended for logging. You can buy as a kit from outdoor stores, or at the local Stihl dealer. And you need to have proper insurance to do tree work around here, lots of liability

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    LawnCareBowling2019

Lol, ok I thought about it for a second, and I'll trust you guys since your the pros.

6. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Good inexpensive starter saw is the stihl ms 193. Think it retails for $310 or so. 14” bar/ chain and is actually made for climbing & one handed use. Very versatile

Cam15 likes this.
  7. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

They are being a little tough on that saw because is dangerous compared to a new Stihl. The Stihl has a inertia brake so if you experience saw kickback the brake will engage hopefully before it cuts your chest or face open. The chain on the stihl is also designed to not kickback alot better than the chain on the mucluk. As for me I'd tell you to use it and get a full set of safety gear and be aware of kickback and never cut with the tip of the saw. Don't put any money in that saw, it probably last long and if it does keep it for a saw you use it in less than ideal situations.

rclawn likes this.
  8. fireball756

I suggest you google the tree care industry association. They have a free magazine each month to get you started. They also have schooling classes. They also have standards for safety equipment and OSHA has standards for safety equipment. Google ISA too. Bottom line it is not something you learn in a couple of months

hort101 likes this.
  9. fireball756

You could probably spend the next several weeks watching iTunes U. Just search for tree felling fails

hort101 likes this.