1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best single axle utility trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by recycledsole, Sep 27, 2012.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

totally right... the company I dealt with does mostly mining equipment, but will do custom stuff too. They probably build 30 or so trailers a year. In WV if you do a "homemade" trailer to get a DMV title and registration, the trailer has to pass a state police inspection, which if a fabricator knows what they are doing, they should do all of this before you sign off.

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a homeowner with a ZTR, so I won't really be using a trailer for it very often, but I wonder if any of the landscaping pros have an opinion about the Home Depot Karavan open landscape trailers. They seem to me to be ok except that in the HD posted reviews there are complaints about the ramp being so short, a ZTR mower deck hits the trailer's floor and ramp interface. I sent email to the manufacturer and they seem to be aware of the problem but not very interested in correcting it by providing a longer ramp. Looks like the ramp angle is about 30 degrees. Would any of you buy a trailer like that for daily use?

3. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you can adjust deck height from the seat you should be fine. On a couple of our fixed deck Standers I have found that unless you can hit it from an angle, you will scrape.

Really not good if you hit the spindles on a homeowner model

4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

Corn pro would be the first choice somewhat of a Midwest brand manufactured in Indiana little pricy but hold value.

5. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I just had a 6.5x12 with 3500lb single axle built by Stag trailers for $1075. I couldn't be any happier with it. I bought the tongue box from a Rice trailer dealer which covered up my swivel jack sleeve so I had to have another sleeve welded to the side. No big deal. 20170630_164554.jpg 1503195559924-983739775.jpg 20170816_192256.jpg 20170727_202121.jpg 20170727_181423.jpg 20170630_182521.jpg 20170630_164520.jpg 20170630_164048.jpg

GoPappy and Tonset like this.
  6. Tonset

Tonset LawnSite Member

I saw someone using a gutted out Coleman pop-up camper. Can't get anymore name branded as that! I'm looking for a T3 or even an m100 trailer, if you see one hit me up.

7. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Stripe, who sells that toolbox you've got mounted on the tongue?

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I never before heard of a CornPro trailer, but now that I have it looks very nice. But you're right about it being expensive. Too much so for me and since the nearest dealer is 120 miles from me, I'll let it pass. Thanks anyway.

upload_2017-8-20_9-32-29.jpeg

9. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I had the trailer built by Stag trailers but there's a trailer dealer here called McCurry that is a Rice trailer dealer,.. they removed a toolbox from one of the Rice trailers in their yard and sold it to me for $150 flat. Which is a great deal. I'm assuming many Rice trailers come standard with that box so I'd search Rice trailer dealers in your area.

GoPappy likes this.
  10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the pricing is higher and a good deal higher then most 6x12s

hort101 likes this.