Best stander for holding slopes?

K&L Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Looking for opinions on which stander in the 52" variety is the best at handling slopes. I had the original V-Ride with a 61" deck and I thought it was just mediocre at best.

Thanks!

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Wright has come out with a double wheel ZK. Not sure you can get it in 52". Saw a video on YT about the new Staris. The reviewers said it did very well. Dirt Monkey was the channel. The Ferris z3 should be good too.

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
on my 17 or 19 (Depending on if you believe iphone or manual calculations with 2x4 and tape measure) degree slope my 52" Z2 is a piece of cake to cut with.

WGB

LawnSite Member
I have a Z2 61" with ag tires, it will go places you shouldn't. The stock turf tires are useless in all but bone dry conditions.
If it's soft and you get in a hurry it will peel some sod and yes I have a few repairs to do.

arl250

LawnSite Bronze Member
Toro grandstand is pretty dang good on hills as well. In my opinion. I’ve never used a Ferris but from just looking at them I’d say the z3 is a freakin tank on a hill

OP
K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with you guys about the Ferris Z3.I'm going to try to look at one today. The Z3 52" deck with the Briggs Vanguard 37HP EFI has me super intrigued.

I love my Scag Turf Tiger II and I would love to add a V-Ride II in 52" but I think the Ferris just might be superior.

Groomer

LawnSite Silver Member
I added a ferris 48" stander last year and am amazed at it's nimbleness and the places I never would of thought I could use it. Does quite well on some steeper slopes-you learn fast where you don't take it!

there's an operator learning curve with a stander that takes awhile to figure out.

I wasn't impressed with the stock blades-so had some scag super hi-lift "trimmed" to fit the deck, way mow better!

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
I don't think you'll beat the dually wright, course it's a dually, and probably not practical for most of us.

arl250

LawnSite Bronze Member
I agree with you guys about the Ferris Z3.I'm going to try to look at one today. The Z3 52" deck with the Briggs Vanguard 37HP EFI has me super intrigued.

I love my Scag Turf Tiger II and I would love to add a V-Ride II in 52" but I think the Ferris just might be superior.
I’ve been a scag guy for a long time but absolutely do not like the vride. I would go with the Ferris all day every day. Actually almost bought a z3 before I got my grandstand but I really liked the more compact size of the grandstand vs the Ferris

Doc8406

LawnSite Fanatic
i had a stander.. i have found that the best stander for mowing on banks is a mower that you stand behind..