Best Stander Out There?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River, Feb 9, 2018.

1. River

River LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

Howdy Fellas, looking at a stander to replace an older Diesel Zero Turn I sold. I’ve never owned a stander before so all input on brands is appreciated. Looking at a 52 or 61 with the biggest engine I can get. Pricing isn’t an issue.Each ones has some great benefits. The ZK can fly and comes with large horsepower options. The V Ride 2 has the V+ deck and is fast too. The Z2 rides the best of the three and has the best hill stability to my knowledge. Other brands are welcome too. Just looking for some feedback as I’m new to the stander game.

2. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

52” stander X with adjustable deck is the best I have used/ owned in my entire time in business. versatile, efficient and leaves a great cut. Get a 36” for the backyards and ur set. ZK is great too cause you can switch decks out, but more pricey

3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

I used toro grandstand, bobcat quickcat, wright stander and the gravely stander.
    toro was great but the design of the engine moving with the deck makes it very heavy to lift and lower the deck and hydro hoses leak all the time because they move when the deck gets moved.
    wright, (i had one with fixed deck) ok but you felt every single bump later that night you hit. Easily the hardest mower on your body
    Gravely, very good. smooth. rode nice and left a awesome cut.
    bobcat, best ride out of the 4 probably because of the nice big tires. great cut. controls were a little touchy until you get the feel for it.
    i would buy a gravely or bobcat out of the 4, the other 2 i would not buy because of points i made.

4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

THIS IS FOR THE MANUFACTURES, EXMARK, SCAG, HUSTLER, GRAVELY, BOBCAT, WRIGHT, TORO, ALL OF YOU BUILDING STAND-ONS ..........

CHANGE THE CONTROLS

MAKE THEM EXACTLY LIKE A HYDRO WALK BEHIND. EXMARK AND SCAG HAS THE PERFECT GRIP CONTROLS FOR THIS SETUP. ANY MACHINE WOULD BE WAY SMOOTHER AND WAY EASIER TO HOLD HANDLES THEN USING YOUR THUMBS TO CONTROL.
    exactly as a walk behind, set speed release handles and mower goes. You can keep you entire hand holding on and they would be way smoother and the ride would be less hard on your body. The reason I don't care for standers is because of the controls on all of them. First company to switch over to this setup watch your sales skyrocket and send me a thank you:drinkup:

JTLarson and Ridin' Green like this.
  5. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

Milo, I like the existing loop controls, way easier on my hands than all the others, but could just be me. I wrap my fingers around the front bar and push the levers with the palm, never have hand fatigue like ecs or pistol grips. Perhaps the manufacturers could offer a choice. I think I saw an Exmark stander with ecs at my dealer.

6. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

Quiktrak Anyone?? Cuts underwater, in sand, upside down and backwards. Haha. With most of these mowers having tg same hydros, hp, blade tip speed respectively. What it comes down for me is the wet grass situation.exmark sucks in wet and i had to go over it 1 million times or blow clumps. demoed the v ride 1 in 2014 and the quiktrak 652r. Both spit grass no problem, even in fall with some leaves both spit grass out very nicely. What sold me on the Deere. Was that the engine raised and lowered with deck so there wasn’t any added torque on stationary engine on an angle. I own two 652s and a 636 and i don’t have to worry about rain in the forcast

River and sehitchman like this.
  7. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark has the s and X series...the X-series has ECS grips...they same as their walkbehinds

Also the grandstand-2 has the engine independent of the deck, the engine sits more towards the rear. I think this is the 2016 + models.

8. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The best I see (just observation) would have to be 61" zk by wright, or the 61" z3 by ferris. Ferris is trying to get this higher beefier line going so deals are to be had. Reviews are starting to come up on here.

Green Machine 2 likes this.
  9. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I really wish exmark would come out with something like the wright stander I or the old Sentar, the sort of seat and stander unit... cause I really like the standers, but my old knees can't hardly handle standing all day any more... and don't really care for Wrights decks

10. Lawns P.L.U.S.

Lawns P.L.U.S. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Minnesota

If pricing isn't a problem the ferris Z3 with 37 he vanguard Efi is probably the best stander because of the deck suspension system

Grass Bass and Green Machine 2 like this.