1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best stone grit for sharpening blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoachLinz, Jun 20, 2003.

1. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I only have money for a cheap bench grinder for now. I was out looking and there were 2 I saw at a low enough price. 1 has a single 120 grit stone that is approx. 1 1/2" wide. The other has 2 stones - 36 grit and 60 grit - that are each about 3/4" wide. I can buy other stones (coarser or finer) for either one. So ,my question is - what grit is correct for sharpening mower blades? What grit stones are you guys using.

Please don't recommend other, more expensive options. I know there are better machines to do it, but this is all I can afford right now. Next year, I will upgrade.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It's been a while since I've sharpened blades (out of the mowing end of the business), but I believe 120 grit is too coarse. I used a ruby wheel, but i forget what grit it was. Hopefully, someone else can help shed light on this.

Mike

3. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

OK. If the 120 is too coarse, then the other 2 are definitely out (lower number=coarser stone). Anybody else know for sure?

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a 4 1/2" hand held angle grinder.

Put blade in vise, clamp down.

And grind away.

Only thing a bench grinder is good for is to put a wire wheel on to clean the blade prior to sharpening and balancing. On the other end I have a fine grit stone to dress the back side of the blade if needed.

If you plan to be in this business, invest in a dedicated blade sharpener. Go out and get a 0% intrest credit card and put it on there!? But you don't want to hear this, right!?

Bottom line, if all you can afford is a $ 75 grinder, get a hand held angle grinder.

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Have you priced blade sharpening in your area?A local hardware store here charges 2.00 each.they do a better job than I can,I have a benchgrinder,4"angle grinder,a dremel tool,a vise and a half dozen files and still can't do a good job. The Lesco dealer does them 3 fo 7.00 and they are fantastic,twice as good as hardware store, 10x better than me.:confused:

Did I mention I'm saving for a good sharpener??;)

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

:D

But for $2/blade, Id have them do it too!

Most are $5 to 7 and don't do nearly as good a job as I can.

sharp blades.jpg

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I use an angle grinder and a big file...... the grinder is only used when the file can't restore the edge...... oh yeah, keep a wire brush handy to clean the file.... makes a big difference.
    I have used a blade grinder, and they do work exactly as they're designed to.............. I just can't swing the expense right now.......maybe after some fall clean-up ca$h!.......... ready for next year.

8. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Use the coarse stone 60 grit.
    Steve Snider

9. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I have a magnamatic. LOVE IT!.
    I can get a perfect edge in less than 1 minute per blade.
    Only way to go. Even a not-so-bright employee can't screw it up.

10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not exactly sure, but i think one of the dealers around here charges homeowners $15 per blade for sharpening.

Again not sure, but can't they buy a new blade for $20?