Best striping mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 3mlawncare2009, Apr 25, 2018.

1. 3mlawncare2009

3mlawncare2009 LawnSite Member

got to break down and buy a new mower. I’m in western ky. What r the best striping mowers out there without a striping kit

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

A properly set up deck from any brand really.

3. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

About to post the same thing...properly setup deck with high BTS and high lift blades will stripe nice especially with grasses that have long blades that bend and lay easily. I can stripe the hell out of some Zoysia and Bahia but Bermuda while it stripes it does it to a lesser degree without a stripe kit IMHO

Rad418 and Ridin' Green like this.
  4. Hawkshot99

O yea....I often forget about that type of grass thing. I live in the North East where I can stripe any grass type with minimal effort with my setup. I run a properly setup Ferris, however I see plenty of other Ferris' out there that dont leave much stripes at all. They are most likely never been adjusted or touched from the factory.

5. Ferris 3200

Ferris 3200 LawnSite Member

What year and model Ferris do you have? Factory blades? Deck size?
    My 72” 3200 doesn’t seem to stripe as well as I think it should. I’ve set the blades to at least 1/4” pitch too. I’ve got the stripe flap on also.

6. Hawkshot99

FW35, any blades stripe, but best results for cut and stripe I use G5's and a shredding blade in doubles. Have a stripe flap as well.

Ferris 3200 likes this.
  7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

With a 72" deck and the longer blades under them, try going to 3/8" or even 1/2" pitch on the blades and see what your stripes look like. I have had 60" decks that striped best with 3/8" on the blades, so it might very well improve yours too, again due to the longer length of the blades.

Ferris 3200 and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  8. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

eXmarks stripe our grasses Great w/No Kit.

Stripes not a thing here so we actually mow in patterns to reduce stripe visibility once Spring Growth slows.

9. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody credits the damm mowers, I'll tell you what makes a good striping mower, and that is a good lawn.

10. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

Mowers help. I run Ferris, Wright, Toro and eXmark.

Even if all units set up w/same style blades the eXmark always lays down a visible stripe and the others don’t. eXmark sprinkles some kind of Stripe Magic on their decks.

And I don’t even want it. High End Customers here like uniform looking turf.

dishboy likes this.