1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best time for weed and feed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JasonPC, May 14, 2000.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Hi, all. I posted this on the pesticide forum, but only got one response. I was hoping i could get some more opinions. I thank you very much ahead of time.<p>I applied my fert w/dithiopyr the week of April 5th. I was thinking I should apply the weed n feed May 20th which would make it 6 weeks between apps. Does this sound right? I live in Massachusetts. The dandelions are all over the place! and the weeds are popping up like crazy.<p>Also, Lesco tells me that their granular weed and feed is great and will work just as well as liquid. I'm a newly certified pesticide applicator and this is my first season doing this fertilization program. Do you more experienced guys have any suggestions? Lesco wants to sell me a product that has 2,4 D, dicamba, and one other chemical in it. What do you think? Will it get rid of all of these dandelions and other weeds??!<p>Thanks ahead of time...<p>Nicole <br> <br>

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I saw your post in the pesticide forum and saw Lazers reply. He knows his stuff. I am in the same boat as you are and I have researched this topic a little. If you have the capability and the time I would definately recommend using a backpack sprayer and a Trimec blend for the dandelions. I am going to apply a granular fert that is blended short on fert for my #2 of 5 ap on a commercial and 1 residential that is swamped but does not have any perennials. 2-4-D is a nasty on the gardens at this time of year and my customers don't have any of these on or near their lawns. I advise you to check up on the type of trimec that you spray as you don't want drift or granuals to get to the &quot;nice weeds&quot; (perennials or veg gardens)dont use an ester. Heed Lazers advice if you can, I've been on this forum for a while and he is a good resource. <br>If you do decide to use granuals be careful. Good Luck.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Nicole: Lesco Weed n Feed is very dusty - small granuals, so do use it on a calm day when the grass has very heavy dew. As others mentioned, Lazer gave you advice on the other forum and he does know his stuff. I feel that spraying is best, because it's hard to find the perfect conditions for Weed n Feed. Grass wet, no wind, it can't rain for 24 to 48 hours. That's a narrow window to hit. <br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>