Best times to reseed and aerate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by EastBay.Landscapes, Nov 6, 2018.

1. EastBay.Landscapes

EastBay.Landscapes LawnSite Member

Hello fellow landscapers. There is a bunch of information on the internet as to best times to aerate and re-seed, most points to spring and fall, but from your personal experience...what would you guys say is the best time? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What kind of grass?
    What's the soil like in your area?

TrainingWheels, Walker56 and sjessen like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

What does your local extension agent recommend?

Is there a SiteOne or similar? They could advise you.

TrainingWheels, Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Personal experience--well... to us... California is like a whole nother country. I gotta ask--what kind of grass will be overseeded? Bermuda? Tall fescue? What kind of grass will be seeded in? Irrigated?
    For cool season grass, I suggest 8 weeks before frost. Home lawns? Institutional, sports or industrial grounds? Winter color?
    Warm season grass(like Bermuda)--best seeded 8 weeks after the last spring frost--or so I have heard. 48 degrees here--our Bermuda patches look really brown.

TrainingWheels, sjessen and hort101 like this.
  5. EastBay.Landscapes

Most of the grass out here is Tall Fescue. I'm not entirely sure of the soil composition, but the folks who are interested in the re-seeding are folks who have had the same lawn for 15-20 years. Right now we are having 70-75 degree days. It will eventually drop, but rarely days under 50 degrees.

hort101 likes this.
  6. RigglePLC

I would say the time is right. Temperature of about 80 and trending downward works very well. Do the lawns have irrigation--is it the rainy season? Is there a weed situation to worry about?
    I think it would be wise to encourage the customer to choose between the regular and premium disease-resistant seed (and a lateral spread type, like Titanium). And suggest to the customer that they should pay a little more and get the double heavy seed rate. Since most of the cost is in the labor, anyway. More seed means more new grass.

http://www.mtviewseeds.com/downloads/datasheets/Titanium2LS.pdf

hort101 likes this.
  7. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Member

I’m also CA. Now is the time. Actually about 5 weeks ago. At this point, sooner the better. Daylight hours decreasing daily and you get a lot colder up that way than we do down here.

sjessen likes this.
  8. EastBay.Landscapes

Garret, seems like the west coast guys are few around here. Would you mind if I emailed to pick your brain a bit? I'm sure there are differences with the North and South regions, but still California none the less. Right now i'm going through a "price increase" stage with a lot of my customers, and some folks don't seem to understand the cost of living around here. I'm curious what the market is like for you in Socal.

9. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Member

10. RigglePLC

Ohmigosh! We have been doing it all wrong!
    I just looked up several sites that explain how to overseed.
    This in Arizona--where they do a lot of overseeding.
    https://turf.arizona.edu/tips894.html

After several website visits, and from various comments.
    I discovered that:
    Sow about 10 pounds per thousand sqft of perennial rye, 20 if you plan to cut at 1/2 inch or less.
    Sow seed when night temps fall below 65 or 70.
    Scalp mow Bermuda to 1/4".
    Mulch (like steer manure) helps to retain heat.
    Rye is frost tolerant.
    Be careful; don't irrigate if night temp falls below 40.
    "Rake, drag or mow seeds into the soil."
    "Once your new grass is up, mow at 3/4".