1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

best tool for edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jsfrk, Sep 14, 2004.

1. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What is the best tool to do edging around mulch beds and other objects where you want a clean edge?

I've seen some people dig out a small trench like groove around their mulch beds, but at what depth or how wide to you dig this?

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

A Border Shovel :dizzy:

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A bed edger by trenchmaster. About $2200. Worth every penny. A buddy of mine has one I can borrow when ever I want. But he gets to borrow some of my stuff.

4. tom9054

tom9054 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Wish I had a buddy with a trench master! :)
    the ol' boy that broke me in called 'em a spud
    A guy on ebay is selling these things...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26198&item=3839915835&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

if that link don't work, just do a ebay search for sod cutters.

I went to his ebay store and bought a square one, I think it works better for installing edging. I bought one at the local home improvement joint that busted first time out. Think we need rain.

Hey that's my first post, whatta deal. :blob3:

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Check into a "Bed Shaper" edging machine. You NEED the pulverizer kit with it though! It saves a LOT of work and time....

Dan

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If you have a lot of feet of edge to cut...the machines mentioned above is definitely the way to go. On installs where grass is already in place..I rent the machine. If its just a fairly small job..I do the following: Mark line to be edged, take a stick edger and trace that line, take a pick and dig out the inside of the line at the desired angle, remove debris from trench, edge again with edger for a nice straight edge, blow the excessive soil ( the little bit piled around on the grass from edging) back into the bed and mulch. I actually done two small beds today.............good luck.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yeah. Trenchmaster, bedshaper, whoever. A true Godsend. I see one with my name on it for next year.

For small stuff, just like o-so-n-so said.

Good Luck.

8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

A bededger is pretty good works better when the ground is dry.