Best Trimmer for Start-up?

oomph

LawnSite Member
Hey guys,

I'm starting up this season and been hunting for some equipment. I'd like some advice on which Trimmers are best to look for?

I'm looking to hopefully find a few used ones out there that are in decent shape.
Please feel free to throw me some makes and models. thanks!

Thanksman

LawnSite Platinum Member
Hey guys,

I'm starting up this season and been hunting for some equipment. I'd like some advice on which Trimmers are best to look for?

I'm looking to hopefully find a few used ones out there that are in decent shape.
Please feel free to throw me some makes and models. thanks!
My opinion is get what you can afford. Mine are older lesco models. Echo and stihl are good too

TNGrassCutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Echo srm225 or the entry level Stihl, redmax, etc will all be done until you need and can afford a bigger unit. Go to your local equipment dealer and buy what he has if you like it so you will have dealer support.
Posted via Mobile Device

TNGrassCutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Also I personally would not buy used handhelds from anyone, they mostly are treated like throwaway pieces and after a year or two probably not very reliable. You won't save much buying used vs new handhelds either.
Posted via Mobile Device

944own

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a husqvarna 223l I could get rid of that is pretty much new. I bought 2 of them last summer because they were on sale at northern tool and they were $180 each with tax and all I have done with one of them is trim my own yard like one time but I use the other one a good bit but I really dont need 2 because I have several trimmers. But where are you located because the last time I shipped a trimmer it was almost $50 for shipping. This is the model they sell at lowes for $249 and they are great trimmers. Do a search and you can find good reviews you will probably find posts from me about how I had to adjust the carbs on both of them when I first bought them. good luck

GlynnC

LawnSite Senior Member
I politely disagree with my other Tennessee friends--but maybe from a little different direction. It is my opinion that one of the best things to learn in this business--especially when just starting out is how to work on your own equipment. I would buy a good used straight shaft trimmer from craigslist/garage sale/etc. and then learn how to work on it. I see more used Echos than other brands. Learn to change primer bulbs, fuel lines, fuel filters, clutches, clean muffler and exhaust port, learn how to change string head (and which way to unscrew it), and you can keep a trimmer running a long time. Run this unit until you can afford a new commercial trimmer, then you have a backup unit and more importantly, learned something about maintaining your equipment.

Personally, I just cannot imagine how difficult it must be in this business if you have to pay for all your maintenance. Learn early!!!!!!

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
What ever you do, get a straight shaft trimmer. I started out with a curved shaft trimmer and used that for 2 years or so. When I bought the straight shaft it was like going from a horse drawn carriage to a Cadillac. Then again, get what you can afford. I like stihl.

tony b

LawnSite Member
My advice is look on ebay at what sells (stihl sells and not much else). I buy 3of the stihl fs 55's every other season. I pay $200 ea and sell them for $100 ea. and buy usually only a few parts like string spools etc. Some guys are going to say I'm crazy but I don't get much better service or return on investment from $400 trimmers. Another added bonus of the 55's is getting used solid steel shafts from fs 85's which cuts down on vibration. I just keep swapping them out when I buy new trimmers.