Best trimmer head for clearing mixed vegetation amongst rocks?

troverman

LawnSite Member
I'm going to be clearing a variety of vegetation from a large rocky area. Most of the rocks are exposed but there are grasses, weeds, vines, and light brush growing all in and around the rocks. I normally run 0.95 trimmer line which won't stand up to anything other than the grass and weeds. I am using Husky 535LS trimmers and I do have a saw blade head but hitting the rocks quickly dulls the blade, and it is very slow going anyway. I have used heavier duty string on these trimmers in the past, and I'm thinking this is the way to go for making the most progress. I cannot remember what the line size was though! All I remember is that it would barely go through the trimmer head holes from the spool to outside the head, it was that thick.

Any other ideas? Doesn't need to be a finished perfect look...just knock it all down. It'll be a crew of several of us, running either the 535's or similarly powered Stihls.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Around rocks I prefer the stihl head over the speed feed head. The speed feed just lets out to much line banging on rocks. I like the oregon gator line .095 l(blue stuf) line for rocks and it pulls the weeds out without breaking

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use a plastic flail-blade trimmer for stuff like that, the Echo Maxi-Cut. Then I go back over it with .105 line to get anything I missed. It should fit Husqvarna trimmers. There's a couple different models and a Shindaiwa one too. I know it fits my 323 Husqvarna trimmer. The blades do wear and break but blade (knife) replacement is simple. I carry extras in my pocket along with a stubby flat-head screwdriver. It will handle stalky weeds and small vines and not splatter the crap out of you on the juicy weeds like string does. Not sure this is the exact model you'd need. Good for up to a year or so worth of growth. If it's more than that it won't handle it.

Last edited:
OP
T

troverman

LawnSite Member
Thanks guys. Yeah, .095, not .95, my bad. It might be the .130 line. I'm going to look at the site today or tomorrow and take some pics.

Top Forums