1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Best trimmer string?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Randall Riley, May 22, 2020.

1. Randall Riley

Randall Riley LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

What is your go-to weed trimmer string for best cut AND durability?

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

There's a ton of threads on this on here to read through.

3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

I use the
    Oregon 20-102 Platinum Gatorline .095

Amazon had it on sale about a month ago for $35 for a 3 lb spool. It's a bit more now that it's fully mow season.

rlitman and Cam15 like this.
  4. Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag. LawnSite Member

Best I have found from use and researching online with lots of videos. Clean cut!!!

Screenshot_20200522-080004.png

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

The purple kind.

Cam15 and JLSLLC like this.
  6. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

Rotary Vortex .095

Scottdubya83 and Cam15 like this.
  7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

.08 really?

8. Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag. LawnSite Member

Yea thought the same thing as I have ran .095" in my Stihl trimmers for past 5 years. Figured I'd give it a shot as alot of the guys I follow on YouTube use it and impressive is an understatement. Can buy smaller lengths on Amazon so atleast worth getting a couple hundred feet to try out for cheap!!! You won't regret it

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you edge with your trimmer?

10. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

A youtube guy also told me to buy a cordless trimmer, haha. I can't tell you how many youtubers doing lawn care are doing things that they think are awesome but don't work for me. I can't run anything less than .095, i've tried them all and i use what works best for me. more power to you if you like the thinner stuff, i just don't.