Best Used Medium Duty Truck. GVW 14k to 25k

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Jan 20, 2006.

1. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

Another decade old thread!

Graverunner68 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  2. Boston trucking

Boston trucking LawnSite Member

I have heard of upfitters which do what you are saying but haven't been able to find one in New England or find any info at all online on them. If you have any info on this please share. Thank you

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

That’s interesting
    We were just having a conversation on this topic (33k truck that’s perfect but we want 25.9k rating)
    Topic of derating came up
    I remember a fleet mechanic years ago (in New England) where I bought most of my trucks from (jukonski) talking about it.
    But none of us knew how to go about doing it,

The original conversation about it was all the benefits of doing it (heavier truck being used in a lighter role) but no mention of HOW to do it.

Anyone know specifics?

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

In the rare occasion you come across a 33k truck that doesn't have air brakes it could possibly be derated but it is also going to be a slightly heavier truck over an identically outfitted 26k. Personally I think I'd just get a big boy driver's license and go all in. The braking capacity and load capacity of the larger trucks are worth it.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty sure I'll be ordering a 26k truck with air brakes. I also need an Allison 3000 Series tranny so between those 2 "requirements", I'll probably have no choice but to order.

Air brakes are flexible, but they are sooooo much better than hydraulic. Also want to keep it under CDL so we don't have to screw with tanker endorsements.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Graverunner68

Graverunner68 LawnSite Member

I think in pa you can leave the door plate the same and re register the truck at a lower weight. We have different class stickers on the windshield. You cant go lower than a class 3 though for a duel rear wheel truck.