Best walk behind edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Brushtrooper, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Brushtrooper

Brushtrooper LawnSite Member

What would you recommend for a non commercial use walk behind edger? I have 3 homes I take care of and a lot of side walk. I am not doing the weedeater so please do not suggest that. I have a older one with 2 hp B/S and its on its last leg. I have been looking at Mclanes but wanted to see if there were other options I am not aware of
    Thx

2. Centex Aeration

Centex Aeration LawnSite Senior Member

Echo 2620

3. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

Without knowing what you have now just a thought; have you researched a replacement engine? If what you have works but getting tired it might solve the problem.

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl kombi?

hal and Cam15 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Brushtrooper

I have a no name edger with a b/s I bought at a garage sale for 40.00 many years ago. I need one with curb drop wheels plus this one needs work. I have tried a stick edger years ago, right after they first came out and did not have any luck using them on yards that did not have a good edge cut already. I have tried using my echo trimmer and it works but I am not good enough to make it cut a straight like the guys that do this for a living. is there a good strong stick edger that will cut good? I really like Echo products but open to suggestions

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

For walk edgers Tanaka has been the standard for decades.

7. OP
    OP
    Brushtrooper

What about a stick edger? The more I read here (searching forums), maybe I need to consider these. Do they cut a good edge? I think I am going to go to a local dealer and look at the Echo’s. It’s been along time since I used a stick and I am sure they improved.

Koehn's Lawn Service likes this.
  8. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Brown edgemaster comes with a Honda

9. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

That's all I use redmax stick edger but we do keep our lawns edged every other week so they are easy to edge

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Buying a new three wheel walk behind edger (that’s what I call them) is kinda silly unless you have a ridiculous amount of work for one -commercially speaking.

If you just have a “little bit to do” a stick edger is the way to go
    I personally prefer them - but some employees just can’t get the hang of them- so we still use those three wheelers share technology with Eli Whitney’s cotton gin

Cam15 likes this.