1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best waterproof work boot???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Txman32, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Txman32

Txman32 LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Being in this industry for awhile now and I've had every brand of work boot imaginable and everyone of the "waterproof" work boot has failed to live up to expectations. I've had from the cheapest of cheap starting out "brazos" Walmart brand to cabelas brands and every brand in between! My last pair of timberland pros lasted for a good year or year and a half but it is time to chuck them in the trash can. I'm thinking of grabbing another pair of them but I'd like to ask your opinion on what y'all wear? Suggestions are very welcomed!

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

I use these http://www.muckbootsusa.com/muck-boots-chore-cool-classic-work-boot-mid-brown/ for irrigation work. As advertised they are cooler than similar types of neoprene boots. Being mid height helps I think and I never get in that deep so it works for me. Wish I'd got them years ago.

As far as hiking type boots that claim to be waterproof haven't found any that truly are. I use Merrell for all other landscape type work.

3. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

How much ground you cover on foot in these a day and do they hurt your feet?

Stays so wet here I use Brahmas and waterproof them only pairs I have found that don't kill my feet but I tear through boots any kind even timberland..... I'm covering 10+acres a day solo

ericg likes this.
  4. Glwenzl

Glwenzl LawnSite Senior Member

I also use the muck boots, my son got me started with them. While they are pretty comfortable I never wear them for long periods. But I sometimes like wearing them when I'm trimming in somewhat wet grass.

5. Txman32

Txman32 LawnSite Member
    from DFW

How do those muck boots soles hold up when digging? I think those would be good as far as waterproof but I don't think the soles would hold up and if you've done much digging them you know that if that sole ain't tough the. It's gonna puncture.....and brahmas are completly out of the question bud I've learned along time ago that a good quality work boot is worth it's weight in gold! Thank y'all for the replies though much appreciated!

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

Use them only for irrigation so I'm not walking as much as say mowing. They're not bad walking but I wouldn't want to cover much ground in them. Using them for the waterproof factor.

Honestly I don't use them for really tough work so I can't say. Just using them for regular service type work.

7. DumasWalker

DumasWalker LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Birmingham al

I buy cheap brazos $60 a pair waterproof steel toe from academy online. I work in a greasy oily shop 8 hrs then mow afterwards I go through 2 a year. I just chunk them when they worn out I actually keep a new pair in closet for the day I need them. I just cant spend say $150 $200 on a nice pair and get diesel fuel on them the next day. These brazos are light and keep feet dry till they get to worn out.

8. DumasWalker

Male, from Birmingham al

But I did a swap with my nieghbor one time we traded somethimg he had a pair of timberlands he didnt like he worn like once or twice. Anyway the most comfortable pair of shoes i think i have worn. But was not steel to and i have to have steel toe

ericg likes this.
  9. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

Muck boots for sure. Call me crazy but I've been wearing the winter mucks a couple times a week simply because my gf got me them for snow and I've been too lazy to go get the summer mucks. What I like best about mucks are they stick to your legs, they don't slip off.

I also have a pair of Carolina boots. They are tall, laced, steel toe, water proof, etc. Those are a great pair of work boots. Difference in the two is mucks are very easy to get on and off, Carolinas not so much.

10. DumasWalker

Male, from Birmingham al

I cant work in slip on not enough ankle support. My hip keep hurting and knee. Then one day at work Wore a pair with ankle support made a huge difference. I must have rolled my ankle when i walked

ericg likes this.