Best way to clean Integrated Pump and Wheel Motor unit

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Exmark fan, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Exmark fan

Exmark fan LawnSite Senior Member

EE888A9D-D128-426C-BC56-3E036C14B69B.jpeg What are some good ways to clean this integrated pump and wheel motor unit. I pulled it from a 2012 Exmark Lazer Z 60. LZX980KC606 I have a leak coming from somewhere on the unit. Thanks, Exmark Fan

Breezmeister likes this.
  2. Mason Petrov

Mason Petrov LawnSite Member

Are you talking the outside or the internals?

3. OP
    OP
    Exmark fan

This is the right side pump and motor unit. I am talking about the outside. I am attaching the parts breakdown for this mower.

Attached Files:

4. Mason Petrov

Mason Petrov LawnSite Member

I use a air compressor, and brake cleaner or another degreaser for areas I want really clean

Breezmeister and That Guy Gary like this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Compressed air with a gun on the hose will remove 95% of it. Pressure washers are fine if you've got the smarts to avoid blasting any seals with it, dish soap and a scrub brush after blowing off works fine too.

Harbor freight sells an engine cleaning gun that works really well, it's an air tool. It's an air gun with a pickup for cleaning solution.

6. OP
    OP
    Exmark fan

I would use compressed air but I don’t have an air compressor. I will check out the Harbor Freight tool.

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

That ain't gonna work fer ya...uses compressed air, right ?
    Get a stiff parts cleaning brush from an auto parts store, and a couple cans of spray carb cleaner ( with a straw).
    Dry brush the heavy crud off first, then spray/brush.
    U can finish with a cut down paint brush ( softer) and gas or carb cleaner.
    Not much else ya can do w/o an air supply.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  8. hal

hal LawnSite Silver Member
    from Georgia

Use your backpack blower to get the big stuff off and then do what bigfish said

9. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

I would spray it down with engine degreaser and then spray it off with the garden hose. That'll get 95% of the crud off and won't hurt a thing.

10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Those things are a bear to take out......:dizzy:

More then likely, the seal under the fan has gone bad, they are the ones I replace the most, then the one on the side once. Both can be replaced with out removing the complete unit.

Pump.jpg

My Exmark dealer gets me a after market seal kit with just the seals, not the gasket for the base. I have never had one of those gaskets leak.

Pt # 109 4581 Number 4 on page 16. Arm controll for the pump, it's fragile. Becareful how you handle the pump. I have broken one so far.........:eek:

Do not use break clean to clean the pump, it will damage the rubber on the seals.

That Guy Gary likes this.