Best way to clean Integrated Pump and Wheel Motor unit

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Exmark fan, Jan 12, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Exmark fan

Exmark fan LawnSite Senior Member

I was able to get the service manual for the hydraulic unit from my Exmark rep. The service manual calls for a petroleum-based solvent. Do you know of any good petroleum-based solvents? I went ahead and bought an air compressor and an air gun.

Breezmeister likes this.
  2. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Gunk engine degreaser. Spray it on, hose it off with a spray nozzle. If you want to get it really pristine, spray it on, use a brush to scrub everything and then spray it off, it'll be clean as a whistle (a new whistle fresh out of the package)

Breezmeister likes this.
  3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Varsol, white kerosene, paint thinner from hardware store, prep-sol from auto parts store, bunch of good solvents out there.
    I use old gas or gas/oil 2cycle mix in small can and a brush.Followed by spray carb cleaner and air.

I would stay away from water around a hydro, unless yer gonna completely tear it down.

I usually use my air blow gun with a looong nozzle to clean off the majority of crud BEFORE remove the component, be it motor, hydro pump, etc.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    That Guy Gary and Breezmeister like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Exmark fan

I got Gunk engine degreaser. I am planning to tear the hydro completely apart and reseal it because the mower that it is on has 2830 hrs and I want to make sure that it is still in decent shape.

5. OP
    OP
    Exmark fan

This is after some compressed air from my blow gun. D237308B-1644-49BF-BCD8-B0B97BCD605F.jpeg

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

That string makes me cringe.

Thread can work it's way under a seal when it gets wrapped around a shaft.

Order 2 seal kits if you're new at this. I really wouldn't tear it apart right away though, clean it up and find your leak first.

While some are more finicky than others these units are a bit delicate inside. That said, if you insist and you have a pressure washer just blast it. Getting it a bit wet inside won't matter now.

It'll get all that crud off without fooling around with the nasty chemicals.

Breezmeister likes this.
  7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

The fan always sucks something up into the fan hub, reason I replace so many seals. I'm in agreement with Gary on this. Just replace the 2 seals. With 2800 hours on it, you are about 1/2 way though the life span of the pump/motor, no point in messing with it unless you know what you are doing.

8. OP
    OP
    Exmark fan

Would I be correct that you are referencing the fan seal and control arm seal? @Breezmeister I know a mechanic that works at a big Landscape company in my area and they run these integrated units on their Lazers. The mechanic I know will be doing the work. I am just responsible for getting parts ordered.

Breezmeister likes this.
  9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Yep, just the seals. We have 3 of these units from 2009 and that is the only place I have seen that they leak, same with our 2012, same place. All matter of stuff gets under the fan and tears up that seal.

10. OP
    OP
    Exmark fan

What is the part number of the seal kit that you get from your dealer?