Lawn Care Forum banner

Best way to deal with this

28K views 100 replies 13 participants last post by  DVS Hardscaper 
#1 ·
Ok I'm going to try to get enough details written down here. I will be putting in a patio for my bother this year. This issue I am dealing with is how to handle a minor grade change. The distance from the back of his garage to the fence gate of the pool is 17ft with an elvation change of 8-10 inches, the garage side being higher. His whole yard slopes downhill. The patio needs to be level with the pool gate to allow it to open which means removing alot of soil from the garage side of the area. The idea was to put in a small 6-8" wall along the one side (the other side is next to the house) to allow the patio to sit lower than the grade. Is this an ok way to approach this? Is there a better way. Like I said the main problem is dealing with the grade to allow the pool gate to open.

Thanks for any suggestions or confimations.

#2 ·
hard to envision.

and at this time of the year, way too busy and too tired to sit here infront of the screen trying to interpret and envision.

We do not build walls for 8-10" of elevation. we build up with aggregate and backfill with soil and taper out into the yard.

#3 ·
hard to envision.

and at this time of the year, way too busy and too tired to sit here infront of the screen trying to interpret and envision.

Not a problem I understand that.

We do not build walls for 8-10" of elevation. we build up with aggregate and backfill with soil and taper out into the yard.

Sorry I can't explain it better, I will get a picture up later. I completely understand building it up to level it out. The problem is being caused by a gate that will swing open on to the patio. The gate is at the low end of the elevation so raising that end up 8-10" is not possible as it would block the gate from opening. So the small "wall" would be built because the upper end of the patio (high elevation near house) would need to be lowered to the elevation of the gate side of the patio. Even with a slope on the patio of 1/8-1/4" per foot, it is still too high. It is a small 12x15 area and they want to used every inch of that space.

I completely understand everyone is in super busy mode right now.

#4 ·
Reset the fence and gate
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
Easy fix. Build a step 4 feet back of the gate or so and keep the existing grade right where it is. Work with it instead of trying to solve the grading issue. Here is a picture of a pool project we did 4 yrs ago, had the same issue so we built a step in behind the gate. In the first picture the gates are not yet installed. On the next picture you'll see another project with the gate installed .Pool gates need to open inwards so you won't need a lot of room behind , just a couple of feet would do. Hope this helps.

Property Window Building Plant Road surface

Sky Building Window Infrastructure Road surface

#9 ·
Zedosix,

I'm ebarrassed by the attached pic because of how small and simple this patio will be compared to your stuff, ha! So with the picture the high side is the garage side (yellow siding) and the low side is the pool. I though about having the patio match the grade and create an opening with a step down to allow the door to open??? I really appreciate all your time and answers with this.

The second pic (with the landsaping) was the first idea but my brothers wife wants the patio larger. This had some lose river rock to help with the grade going down with some large flag stone as steping stones to allow the gate to open. But that was squashed!

Thanks guys

Window Plant Building Tree Door

#11 ·
Md, I like the challenge you have in front of you, this is perfect to hone your hardscape skills. Try to build the area in front of the gate at the same grade of the pool and do a step up towards the patio. I would also do a wall along the remainder of the fence on the patio side. This way you could extend the patio away from the house and do a small flowerbed in front of the hydro meter. Replacing the steps would be a nice option as well. Anytime there is elevation involved the options are endless. I would love to draw it out for you but my eyes are sore from staring at the computer from drawing so much these past weeks. Good luck.

#12 ·
Md, I like the challenge you have in front of you, this is perfect to hone your hardscape skills. Try to build the area in front of the gate at the same grade of the pool and do a step up towards the patio. I would also do a wall along the remainder of the fence on the patio side. This way you could extend the patio away from the house and do a small flowerbed in front of the hydro meter. Replacing the steps would be a nice option as well. Anytime there is elevation involved the options are endless. I would love to draw it out for you but my eyes are sore from staring at the computer from drawing so much these past weeks. Good luck.
Zedo,

Thanks for the ideas. Just for clarification on the gate area. First it swings towards the patio area. Lets say the gate opens up in a 4'x4' area, are you saying create an 4'x4' lower level with a step down on three sides with wall block? Sorry for the claification needs but it is really appreciated.

#13 ·
Zedo,

Thanks for the ideas. Just for clarification on the gate area. First it swings towards the patio area. Lets say the gate opens up in a 4'x4' area, are you saying create an 4'x4' lower level with a step down on three sides with wall block? Sorry for the claification needs but it is really appreciated.
Yes exactly. You'll need to determine the appropriate distance required. On another note though, up here anyway, the codes demand that the gates swing inwards towards the pool not outwards.

#14 ·
Yes exactly. You'll need to determine the appropriate distance required. On another note though, up here anyway, the codes demand that the gates swing inwards towards the pool not outwards.
Hmm,

My brother had it built by a contractor so I'm not sure I will ask him. Also I will be doing new steps out of wall block, just could not render it well enough in the design program. Like the idea of a planter around the meter, thanks! Thanks for the help, you are an experienced contractor and its great to have help. I'll make sure to post pics from start to finish to get the real "truth" from you guys!

#15 ·
What is typically used behind steps for waterproofing the foundation? The stairs will be up against the brick in the picture on the first page. There is no basement there. Also would you leave a gap between the left side of the steps and the siding or remove the siding and build to that foundation? Any preferences?

Really looking forward to doing this project and this type of work. Thanks for all the help and I will make sure to take as many pics from start to finish.

#16 ·
What is typically used behind steps for waterproofing the foundation? The stairs will be up against the brick in the picture on the first page. There is no basement there. Also would you leave a gap between the left side of the steps and the siding or remove the siding and build to that foundation? Any preferences?

Really looking forward to doing this project and this type of work. Thanks for all the help and I will make sure to take as many pics from start to finish.
Any type of waterproof shield like blue skin or the like will work. Some of them stick quite well, others tend to need a type of caulking beaded on the cement to help it stick. (sorry can't think of the name at the moment)

#18 ·
So hopefully this project will get completed this year as there were some financial issues that put it on hold for my brother last year. As long as its a go I will definitely be posting before, during, and after pics and looking forward to either a bashing, critiquing, or by mere chance some helpful pointers. That gate will be the biggest pita to work around but it is what it is. He should have done the patio first!! Maybe we can have a redo of the fence......

#20 ·
Well hopefully in the next coming weeks this project will be getting done. Just need the go ahead from my brother and get the pile of money in place to buy materials and rent equipment. Looks like we've decided the best course of action is to get rid of the black fence and build the patio up to the deck with the deck being a step up still using a 12 inch "wall" by the deck and around the side. Anything to think about when building next to a garage slab as under the garage is not the basement or their screen porch. It's Just a pad and stone. Anything to think about? Really looking forward to this. And hopefully not screwing up too badly.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
Materials ordered, should be delivered this week. Hopefully things go smoothly 50% of the time. Fence is coming out to make it a little easier to deal with. Gotta admit that I'm a little nervous on this one. Why? Not sure. Don't want to screw up I guess. I know it wont be perfect but I'm excited to see what's involved and plan on posting all the costs associated with the project to give others and idea of what it costs to do. Also I already posted this in a different thread but my supplier, where I took their contractor training, said that the geo-textile is not needed and according to new research is causing more problems. Thoughts.....

#22 ·
Got the materials on site, picking up the rentals tomorrow. Hoping to get the area dug out base in and hopefully starting stairs and small wall. Thanks to anyone who helped give ideas or advice. I'll try and take as many pics as I can but often forget when busy!!

Plant Road surface Asphalt Grass Groundcover

Wood Plant Grass Automotive exterior Gas

Wood Grass Groundcover Road surface Roof

#24 ·
I'm not a fan of dumping anything on a guys lawn, granular especially!
I made that mistake on one of my first installs. After is was dumped, my first thought was "s*** this is going to be a pita to get out of the lawn when I'm done. Thankfully when the homeowner saw it when he got home he actually asked me to spread more stone in the area when I was done so he could park his boat trailer. That's the last time I have done it where it wasn't 100% necessary

#25 ·
Yea it's my brothers and we are redoing that area anyways. His driveway was just sealed and the street was a no no. However, I COMPLETELY AGREE otherwise.

Day 1- got a decent amount dug out in about the 5 hours I was able to work there. Still need to knock down a few spots about 6". I wish I would have made better equipment choices. That mini skid can take of the first 6" but the next 3-4" is turning out to be a real pita. Plus access and area for movement is very tight. But a mini x wouldve done better but I needed the ability to move the material. Hoping to get it dug out and start laying base tomorrow. This is quite the project for me I have to admit. Overwhelmed, maybe a touch right now. Will feel more confident if I can start laying base tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

#26 ·
Good luck with it. I did a few projects for family in the beginning. I just kept in mind that this is a project I will be seeing a couple times a year for years to come at family get to gethers. I made sure to do it right because I knew any imperfection no matter how small would haunt me everytime I would be there in the future. It's good to hook family up when I can, but family will usually be the first to call about any imperfections

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.