best way to pick up new customers? Service magic?

JDGlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
I have been a manager of a landscaping company for quite a few years now and i have also owned my own snow removal business in New England for quite a while now. I just recently purchased the landscaping company that i have been a manager of and I am trying to think of new ways to gain customers.

At this point the business has a pretty good reputation from the previous owner and myself, but there is a point where there are no more people for your customers to reccomend you to, especially in a rural environment with limited cities near you.

I have quite a few year round customers with winter and summer including two pretty large Home Owner Associations and a bunch of homeowners. At this point I am an owner operator with an employee spring and fall and would like to add a few customers and not quite sure how to go about this.. I have thought of quite a few things like craigslist or service magic and i am not quite sure what would be the best route.

If it helps at all I am from central New England.

OP
JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
I forgot to mention that i think this is a great site :) and I am new here, but i have been on plowsite for a couple years now. Both sites are a huge benefit for my company, lots of great information on both sites. any help you guys can give me is a great help. Thanks guys, I just need to make sure i do this right and keep getting new customers to pay off my debts

R & R Yard Designs

LawnSite Senior Member
do a serch, it will mkea you think about it

StihlMechanic

LawnSite Bronze Member
Made this mistake. The only calls I get are from service magic themselves trying to sell me another year of service. They call daily. Dont waste your time.

I do recommend Angies List, its free and has helped me.

Glenn Lawn Care

LawnSite Silver Member
Stay away from Service magic!

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree don't even bother with service magic or any of the other similar services. Craigslist works but is very competitive and a lot of low ballers just trying to get work.

Word of mouth obviously is the best thing for a business as I've been told by many members here and of course the door hangars and fliers but you have to pass out a ton to get any one even interested but it varys by area and neighborhoods etc...

Now one thing if you can afford it or have the time to do it yourself is website SEO and I wouldn't do this unless you want a ton of new clients but I've been told the results are pretty impressive.

Good luck and welcome to lawnsite!

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
I am a firm believer in Google Adwords. I have tried fliers, Craigslist, Google Places, and yard signs. By far I have had a better return using Adwords than any 2 of the above combined.

If you want calls you have to set a good daily budget, I am at $15/day right now, and I will probably go higher beginning in March.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
How do you manage a landscaping company and not know how to advertise for new customer? I don't get it.
Posted via Mobile Device

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
How do you manage a landscaping company and not know how to advertise for new customer? I don't get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Being a manager at a landscape company may have nothing to do with advertising depending on the structure of a business.

Perhaps your company is small?

Many companies employ someone in sales/marketing to handle that. The manager is simply there to manage people, equipment, scheduling, etc...

Kelly's Landscaping

LawnSite Platinum Member
Posted via Mobile Device
I was a foreman at one for 10 years and never did anything with advertizing and while I had been on a few estimates with my old boss I had never done one solo till I was on my own. It sounds like he ran the jobs but the owner still kept his hands on the office part.

That said his two ideas suck the craigs list is low-baller hell. In my area they post stuff like pay me what you think the job is worth. Not seen one will work for food yet but that's basically where that site is at for services. As my mechanic would tell you the site lost its charm when they took all the hookers off it. Now as for the magic site there's a dozen plus threads on it here and one thing you will learn when everyone says a product sucks it probably does.