Best Way To Remove Buckthorn

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by MNLawns, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

Hey,
    I've got a client that has approx. 4k sq.ft. of woods with pine trees. They are looking to have all the buckthorn that is growing in there removed(its all buckthorn) and pine needles put down(I don't need/want commentary about pine needles)

I was originally thinking that I could just put brush blades on the echo whips and we could go to town. But then it was pointed out to me that if you do not pull it out, it will grow back. I have no desire to pull out 4k sq.ft. of buckthorn, nor do I think my client is willing to foot the bill for that. Is there some sort of spray that I could put down after I cut it all down that would prevent it from growing back?

Or do you guys have another method?

2. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

Well there is roundup and several years of patrolling

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  3. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

If you’re going to spray in essentially a forest (that you want to keep alive), roundup is the best choice I can think of. Makes sense to cut it and spray the “stumps” with highest label rate.

4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

If you pull buckthorn you end up breaking 3 or 4 roots underground that will now sprout and grow. Your best bet is to cut it any way you can and then wait about a week for it to quit weeping water then spray it with round up or something stronger. I don't know what it is about buckthorn but it destroys blades. I have been cutting it at dusk before with a chainsaw and I swear you can see sparks coming out of the saw.

KUMA01 likes this.
  5. Eco Land and Lawn Care

Eco Land and Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I think cutting it and then a round-up run...followed by another hit of round up in a few weeks should knock it out...maybe price in repeat visits until winter to spray

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Just an idea--after cutting--drill a couple holes in the stump wood--fill with herbicide. Maybe use a small hand-held sprayer.
    Not sure which--if any--is best. Glyphosate, triclopyr, Lontrel, 3-way...

The outer layers including the cambium are the most active metabolically--be sure these layers have plenty of opportunity to absorb the herbicide.
    And yes, spray or mow any new sprouts. If practical--cover stumps with black plastic--plants need sunlight.
    Maybe leave about 12 inches stump--so that they are easy to yank out with a chain--if the need arises. Cut a little notch--so the chain does not slip off.
    I will ask my friends later next week--they deal with buckthorn. Pokey, nasty and invasive.

7. OP
    OP
    MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

It's not bi buck thorn, just a lot of 1/2"-2" stuff, all 4k square feet is buck thorn... planning on cutting to the ground and spraying...

8. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Winning the battle over MN Buckthorn is going to be a tough one. If you think you are going to cut it and spray it twice and it won't come back, good luck. Do not guarantee any results. I'd work the bid so it say's you will remove and spray twice with no guaranteed results. You will need to educate the customer that this is their problem and the only way to win is by their efforts after you leave. If you want to know where it came from Bachmann's and Bailey's used to sell it in the 70's and 80's along with some other invasive species. What we didn't know then.

9. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

Cut and apply Tordon with a paint brush to cut stumps

Delmarva Keith and Necoflyer like this.
  10. Necoflyer

Necoflyer LawnSite Member
    from CO

Cut stump application of Tordon.

Delmarva Keith likes this.