Lawn Care Forum banner

best way to replace trailer floor?

20K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  MikeKle 
#1 ·
What is the best way to replace boards on a 16 foot trailer? I thought you had to cut the back lip off and the boards would come right out (still think this will work) but someone told me that you don’t have to. Of course this is from a person that had someone tell him.

He said to cut the old boards out. Next, put as many boards back in as you can by putting them diagonal then straightening them once there in place. The last board or 2 he said to put in under the lip then put a pipe under it. He said the 16 foot board will bow over the pipe. Then use a large C clap to hold the other end down and then use a hammer to remove the pipe. He said when the pipe comes out that the board will snap into place.

Has anyone ever done this before? Normally when something seems too easy it normally is….any suggestions? We never had to replace a floor before.

#5 ·
I striped my trailer and drove over to home depot and got my lumber,the new lumber fit lengthwise perfect,so I put in as many as I could there in the parking lot.I thought I was going to have to cut the lip to put the other three in,but instead I used a big set of channel locks and bent it up enough to get the others in,then hammered it back down with a sledge hammer,way easier than I expected

#6 ·
What is the best way to replace boards on a 16 foot trailer? I thought you had to cut the back lip off and the boards would come right out (still think this will work) but someone told me that you don’t have to. Of course this is from a person that had someone tell him.

He said to cut the old boards out. Next, put as many boards back in as you can by putting them diagonal then straightening them once there in place. The last board or 2 he said to put in under the lip then put a pipe under it. He said the 16 foot board will bow over the pipe. Then use a large C clap to hold the other end down and then use a hammer to remove the pipe. He said when the pipe comes out that the board will snap into place.

Has anyone ever done this before? Normally when something seems too easy it normally is….any suggestions? We never had to replace a floor before.
You can do it like that or this way. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=162994&highlight=new+trailer+boards

Either way it will be easier than grinding the welds off and rewelding. Quicker too.

#10 ·
What I did was have a welder take a notch out of the top lip of the rear channel that was about 1 1/2 boards wide. Then you can just slide boards in and out one at a time. When the last board goes in, drill a hole and secure it with a carriage bolt. Works great for me. No bending or fancy footwork needed.

#11 ·
Make sure you go with that new "plastic" wood.

#12 ·
Make sure if you remove the flat bar thats welded at the end of the trailer that you weld it back on when finished. This flat bar keeps the ends of the boards from rising up in a couple of years, if they rise up(warp), could be hell getting a mower off without dragging. This is why they weld a flat bar across the back, at least thats what the dealer told me today.

#13 ·
trust me, welding that flat lip piece back on is going to be the easiest way to do this!! but a 16ft piece of lumber should bend quite a bit to fit under that lip too. You could bolt it down too, but Ive not seen many trailers that have the wood bolted down. Just wear a mask when welding that piece back on!!! When I did this, the smoke it created was horrible, and the treated lumber has arsenic in it, so it is actually toxic smoke!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.