Best way to replace trailer floor.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I usually just jack up the board at the center with one end in lip. I could just cut that lip off with torch and weld it back.

KIMG1367.JPG

Better yet why not cut the lip off at the front . Easier to piece over it.

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
The lip on one end should be removable no? That's the way every trailer I've ever seen is made.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i've seen the jack the board method done. seems to be the best way unless you want to cut the metal and re-weld it.

i've seen people cut the board before and bolt it down to the trailer frame to hold it in place. doesn't seem like the best way to do it to me.

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Nope Channel iron welded in place

View attachment 385858
Well how the heck do they expect you to replace the floor when it rots out? I know you can weld so you can take care of it but most people aren't set up to weld, much less know how too. so the trailer manufacturer must have basically built the frame around the floor,lol:rolleyes:

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
Well how the heck do they expect you to replace the floor when it rots out? I know you can weld so you can take care of it but most people aren't set up to weld, much less know how too. so the trailer manufacturer must have basically built the frame around the floor,lol:rolleyes:
lots of trailers are made that way. mine is. can't remove the piece. it's welded in place on both ends front and back of the trailer.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Just like anything else. They design them in a fashion so you will need to come back every few years and buy a new one. lol.
I too, thought just what you thought, I figured that piece would be removable. Learn something new everyday.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
you have to use a jack and bend the board up until it slides in. obviously you need a helper to stand on one end while the other end is in the channel. here is one way

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
lots of trailers are made that way. mine is. can't remove the piece. it's welded in place on both ends front and back of the trailer.
The sad thing about that is it actually takes more time to weld the piece on than it would take to attach it with four or five self-tapping screws, which is what was done on my trailer.

Maybe it's a northern thing, something to do with the freeze\thaw cycles? my boards have a self-tapping screw holding them down on each crossmember all the way down as well.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
I bought a CarryOn brand trailer last year and the deck boards are nailed to the crossmembers. Yes, I said nailed. I cant believe the boards aren't a lot looser than they are. I figure I will just bolt areas down as needed, but haven't had to yet and I have a lot of miles on the trailer already.