Best way to sell a client on an hourly fall cleanup rate.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by _Cameron_, Jul 28, 2019.

1. _Cameron_

_Cameron_ LawnSite Member

I’ve spent a ton of time trying to quote jobs by visiting the property in years past and honestly it’s truly a difficult quote to complete for some properties.

Whats the best way to sell a potential on an hourly rate? I currently track job times using a clock and gps to ensure guys are onsite and proper rate is charged to the client.

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Bidding leaves can be tricky.

Rarely do I get it right the first time.

At the same time as a homeowner I would want to know what the cost would be before service begins.

3. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

_Cameron_ LawnSite Member

I can give examples of pricing in their location based of jobs we have completed to give them a number in their head.

I planned on asking potential customers how much they would prefer to spend and what areas they would like prioritized. Open to a better way of pricing besides hourly but just don’t think it’s possible without traveling to the yard.

Cam15, 13Razorbackfan and sjessen like this.
  4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Plus, you can bid the job and have a front pass through overnight which can change everything.

5. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Leaf cleanups can be super tricky as sj mentioned. I just walk them, feeling how deep and thick and also as the customer if they want a spotless cleanup or just the majority. Also tricky is weather conditions mainly rain and wind. I use gigantic bagging system on mower and powerful backpacks and rakes for the corners. I'm at around $225 and up on any leaf cleanup job.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Wonder if the OP could sell them on regular cleanups at mowing prices plus a smaller upcharge. After the first cleanup I can usually bid them pretty close. The first one can be a crap shoot.

hort101 and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  7. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I started doing. Regular customers pay me say $50 eow and I will come blow leaves in yard make a quick pass with bagger or just mulch them then leave. It's more profitable than mowing those lawns in the summer.

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Agreed.

I don't the proper equipment for leaf removal. It is either keep up with them regularly or pass. More and more local guys are going to regular service vs 2-3x per season. Propertieslok much better and the cost isn't that much higher usually.

ltdlawn and hort101 like this.
  9. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

What I've done in the past, like last fall.
    If I'm unsure on a new yard. I will estimate how long I think it should take. And figure out approx cost.
    Lets just say $350.
    I will tell them I can only estimate the cost. But it won't go over $450 for sure. And I do it over email or text so later in Oct they can't say. "You SAID it would be $350". Nope let's check our ph.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Range of prices is a good idea.

ltdlawn, Cam15, Mark Oomkes and 2 others like this.