• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Best way to set up a truck for irrigation work?

OKSooner

LawnSite Member
Question for all:

Working out of a 3/4 ton truck doing REPAIRS ONLY, so far, what is the best way to set it up for irrigation work? Specifically, what is the best way to carry all of the spray heads, rotors, nozzles, PVC fittings, locator, tools and other stuff that you need to do repairs? (Especially all those PVC fittings...)

THANKS!

Stuttering Stan

LawnSite Bronze Member
Put a cap on it (security). One of those slide out jobs is nice, if you want to drop big bucks. Be organized so you know where everything is located.
One of the best investments I made was a utility bed. Everything is stored in side compartments.

bcg

LawnSite Bronze Member
Sell it and buy a van. Really, I use E250 vans with shelves and ladder racks for service work. I can fit every fitting I could possible need from 1/2" - 1", the main fittings for 1-1/4" - 2", controllers, heads, funny pipe, valves, rain sensors, etc. I carry a bundle each of 1/2", 3/4" and 1" class pipe, at least 60' of 3/4" and 1" Sch 40 pipe, and at least a stick of 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2" pipe on the ladder rack and still have room for a 6' ladder. Plenty of room for tools, remote, etc. and everything is well organized due to the shelves and secure because I can lock the van. I can't imagine having to work out of a truck for service work, there just doesn't seem to be enough spaces to put everything, even with a utility bed, or a good way to keep it all safe.

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
I personally work out of a truck. I prefer it. My guy that drives the van, prefers the van. You can carry as much stuff as you will ever need if set up properly.
dana i personally like the truck/camper with side access and shelves and drawers.

i've had utility beds but then you fall under the D.O.T. inspection and scales stops. i've built and am building another trailer from utility beds, i think their great.

they hold a ton of stuff but, i don't have many parking problems like most of you have.

DanaMac

LawnSite Fanatic
Good point, and I don't blame him; backing a compressor is a bearcat without being able to see behind you.
I agree. I may have to use it this nest fall though. I'm comfortable with my skills backing up, but not his. We've used my personal vehicle for him the last couple years when pulling the compressor. But I've since sold it, to that technician actually.

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
I agree. I may have to use it this nest fall though. I'm comfortable with my skills backing up, but not his. We've used my personal vehicle for him the last couple years when pulling the compressor. But I've since sold it, to that technician actually.
Depending on how many blow-outs you do, it might be worth it to rent a Ranger or 150 to do the winterize. Nothing like a tail gate down when backing a compressor.

Last edited: