1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to sharpen blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodgod, Feb 28, 2005.

1. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I've been sharping blades for a few years now, i used to do it by filing them by hand but now that theres too many of them and too little time what is the best way. I know this guy who did them for me for free last summer and fall but sadly his health is not to good right now. I feel bad asking him so i need to start doing them again. I think he used a angle grinder with a metal sanding disc on it. Can anyone help me out on this one?

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive used a bench grinder and an angle grinder and i think an angle grinder works the best. I just use a little Ryobi with a 4.5 inch disk on it. I think it works pretty good. I use a C-clamp to secure the blade to the side of one of my benches and then grind it. I then balance the blade.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use a bench grinder, makes quick work of the blades.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing will do as nice and quick as a dedicated blade grinder.

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I agree with 65 hoss. Magna-Matic grinder here.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I use a table belt sander. It doesnt give you a hollow grind like the wheeled grinders and it does a better job.

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

How do they differ from a regular bench grinder?

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a bench grinder . i wont make the jump to magna-matic until i have to sharpen 20 blades a day . i just have a stock pile of blades that way i dont have to sharpen blades everyday. i can do it when i have extra time. i always put sharp blades on everyday.

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

There are many ways to get the job done. I managed for 10 years with a bench grinder. Just as there are many ways to cut grass, but a nice commercial mower is faster, a commercial blade grinder is faster. I got one last year. wish I'd done it sooner.

10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a magna-matic about a month or so ago. I haven't used it much, all I've done is about 30 or so extra blades that were used last season, but I LOVE it so far! I think it's worth the cost, and if you dont buy the sharpner at least buy the balancer, it is just as important!