1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Best way to stop water runoff?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FitzRightMowingService, Mar 12, 2020.

1. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Senior Member

I think this is the right section for this if not I apologize!

The picture below is the only one that I could find because I forgot to take one of the area tonight. The area measures 72 sq ft left to right of the yard. I marked part of it with the red line.

A lawn mowing client of mine wants help figuring out how to block rain water from coming down the slope in her back yard. She has flower beds on both side and the rain washes away her rocks every time when it rains.

I suggested adding metal edging along the fence line in order to keep or restrict the amount of water that comes down.

Would that be a good soultation if not what would be a better one?

iMarkup_20200311_235420.jpg

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

How much water are we talking about?

Is this pea gravel or big chunks?

Some things don't go well together, pea gravel and slopes are a good example.

Don't try to just block the path when dealing with running water. Provide a new one or capture it. Anything else will become a game of whack-a-mole.

Is the only real issue the gravel being washed out?

How about a barrier that will hold the gravel but let the water flow through? If the edging did work wouldn't the gravel just wash out where it's redirected?

AGLA, sjessen, hort101 and 1 other person like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    FitzRightMowingService

iMarkup_20200312_160510.jpg The water total is whatever amount of rain that comes down during a storm. The rocks are chucks if you can tell by the picture above.

What kind of a barrier would be used in order to hold the gravel in place?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Bigger gravel

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

2-5" creek rock?

That Guy Gary likes this.
  6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The first thing that I would do is dig a 1' wide, 1' deep trench along the inside of the fence on top of the hill, line it with a filter fabric, and fill it with gravel. That will contain a certain amount of what comes from the other side of the fence and give it a chance to be absorbed by the soil. Depending on the amount of water that goes into it and the type of soil, this could be a big solution or just a relief on lighter rains. Bigger gravel has more space for water between the pieces, so the more water volume that can sit in the trench to be absorbed by the soil over time. The filter fabric will keep the soil next to the trench from infilling the voids between the gravel over time.

7. OP
    OP
    FitzRightMowingService

I like your idea if the client accept my bid for a clean up job I will run this idea by her.