Best way to turn old flower bed into more lawn?

newman85

LawnSite Member
Hi,

I have a large 40 x 15 foot flower bed that is very neglected and I would like to turn it back into lawn but am confused where to start. So far I have pulled out the shrubs but am unsure of how to proceed next. The flower bed is covered with with old mulch, rocks, & weeds.

Most of my questions lie around prepping the area:
1) The garden bed is higher then the lawn, how do I lower it?
2) How do I best prep the area and remove the old mulch and rocks?
3) Should I use top soil to level it?

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Bitches_Brew

Banned

gchidest

LawnSite Senior Member
If you have a front end loader it will be easy. If not, lots of back breaking work with shovels and wheel barrows removing the mulch and rock to a acceptable level. I would then till it up, possibly lay down some black cow and plant some seed or lay down sod. Then top it off with some amber bock or yuengling.

OP
N

newman85

LawnSite Member
Thanks. Do I need to clear the dried up wood chips, rocks and weeds or can I just leave them on the top soil?

If you have a front end loader it will be easy. If not, lots of back breaking work with shovels and wheel barrows removing the mulch and rock to a acceptable level. I would then till it up, possibly lay down some black cow and plant some seed or lay down sod. Then top it off with some amber bock or yuengling.

Bitches_Brew

Banned
Thanks for the reply. Any trick to get it perfectly level or just use stakes and string?

You can, but a square point shovel and metal rake should get you there.

If it's against the foundation, be sure to add a little downgrade/slope.

Do I need to clear the dried up wood chips, rocks and weeds or can I just leave them on the top soil?

Yes. Anything the garden rake pulls out needs removed.

Honda250xtitan

LawnSite Member
2 guys from Home Depot. 2 square shovels. 2 wheelbarrows. A dump trailer to throw it all in. Seed and water. Not sure you want grass against the house tho. Sprinklers hitting the house is asking for issues down the road.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you have a HD store that rents mini skids? Or some where else? Or a tractor with a landscape rake attachment?

Top Forums