1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best zoysiagrass for new york?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Aug 9, 2004.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully someone can help. Customer really wants zoysia, any suggestions on variety, types etc.

2. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

For New York???

I just don't know.:confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The best Zoyia for New York does not exist its a warm season grass. Tell your customer to quit reading its confusing them.:confused:

4. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the above post. Even here in arkansas, zoysia is the last to green up and the first to turn brown. It's a beautiful turf, but wouldn't at all be good for cool climates.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i've got two clients with some zoysia grasses and i'm about 50 miles north of NYC. Just picked them up this year so i can't comment on the greenery of them in stressed conditions but they've been doing well this season

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Usually in northern climes, the stuff stays brown all year except for about 2 weeks during the summer. Plus it's a pita to mow. It's a warm weather grass, not well suited for northern areas. Stick with the cooler weather grasses.