1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best ZTR deck to cut and mulch in Northeast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Wiley52, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Wiley52

Wiley52 LawnSite Member

Hi, I've been looking to replace a tired, old Simplicity Broadmoor w/16HP Vanguard lawn tractor which just went over 1000 hours--still runs but I'm thinking each mow may be it's last.

My yard is only 2 acres, numerous trees and beds to cut around, fairly smooth with a long septic mound which in one spots is probably a 35 degree slope. I also plan to use any new mower to pickup a few similar lawns to maintain after I retire in a few years. So far, because of the many trees and flower beds I have cut around at home, I'm certain a ZTR is the only way to go this time, ideally a 50-54" deck to go between several tight areas.

I have several Dealers within a 1/2 hour of home. The brands I've considered in order of interest to me based on the info I've read on this Site or seen on YouTube are Scag, Ferris, SnapperPro, Gravely, possibly Hustler. The latter only because it has rear discharge decks available on some Models so I would not need to add a mulch kit in order to keep clippings out of beds and to recycle them back into soil.

At one point I was leaning toward a Scag TC2 Velocity Plus with the Hurricane Mulch Kit but then saw info saying it was not good in Ohio and Pennsylvania grasses, so often wet and dewy a good part of the mowing season....so back to square one, looking for expert advice on best ZTR for mulching from Spring to Fall in the Northeast. I also like the Gravely ProTurn Series 100/200/52". But don't see much on their ability to mulch in this Region. I think theirs in X-factor II deck now, any have anybexperience with them. I see people raving about Corporate support from Gravely, the Company others should copy as a business model. I might get the rest of the season at home out of the old Simplicity, so not in a real big hurry, is it better to wait until Spring Promos, or try to snag one out of a Dealers inventory end of season?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Walker model B 23 hp EFI with new style 48 mulch deck.

North Idaho Dream likes this.
  3. River

River LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

I'm a scag and jd guy, but I've heard alot in the northeast about the ferris and toro/exmark. Whichever one you buy get the most horsepower you can because you can get a good 7-8 inches of growth like we do up here. And you don't want to bog down

4. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

When a deck gets closed up for mulching most of the difference disappear. At that point it becomes the motor and chassis.
    I would buy a Snapper Pro 125 with as much Up as you want to pay for. Snapper Pro is a great mower for the money.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

ZTR's are more maneuverable for sure, but they are also heavier, and you may think you will save a lot of time around all those beds and trees, but if you care about the look of your lawn, you will soon find out that all that easy turning isn't as usable as you thought. That is if you don't want to ring your trees and beds with the rear tires.

If you have your mind made up on a Z, then the post above is very good advice.

13Razorbackfan and Hawkshot99 like this.
  6. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Senior Member

I just sold my 2005 Broadmoor to my BIL. I too have a pretty steep mount and at times struggled to get up the backside of it. LOVED the fantastic stripes I could lay down with it though!

7. Wiley52

Wiley52 LawnSite Member

Thanks all for your replies. I hadn't considered needing more HP to run a mulching deck as opposed to discharging, but it does make sense. I'm thinking about getting an EFI Kohler or Briggs, both 29 HP, but prices really start jumping up on most anything with those engines. Seems like most EFI engines one notch lower are around 23 HP and I'm thinking that may be a little light. Gravely 152 with 23 HP Kohler is about $7400'. To get another 6 horses for better mulching performance, I'd have to jump up to a 252 w Briggs 29HP, about $9400 w/mulch kit. And I don't see much difference between the 152 and 252 other than 5400 hydros and high back air seat on the 252. Gravely anyone?

Wiley

8. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like a lot of folks are going a diff direction than Gravely these days.

Blainethompson likes this.
  9. Wiley52

Wiley52 LawnSite Member

Yeah, only two year warranty on Gravely. I like the dealer. He has Scag and Gravely. I'm trying to like the "G". But I just can't swallow the higher price for the 252 compared to everything else out there, and especially compared to Snapper Pro. If I liked the Snapper dealer as much as the Gravely/Scag guys, I probably wouldn't be here asking for advice. That, and the Snapper Pro dealer left his machines sitting outside. He said he could order new models, but then not much off List Price plus some frt charges to be passed along no doubt. And I'm thinking Briggs may sell off Snapper (or maybe Simplicity) leaving it hard to get parts down the road.

Not crazy about the Ferris dealer around here either. He's not doing a lot of dealing even though he probably has a decent margin on the iS2100z w/the 29 HP EFI Briggs. He wants $9800 for it without mulch kit. It does have the better adjustable air seat, but it seems to me it should be closer to $8800 from a few posts I've seen around, thank you.

Luckily, the old Broadmoor may have another mow left in 'er....

Wiley

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. Wiley52

Wiley52 LawnSite Member

Yeah, only two year warranty on Gravely. I like the dealer. He has Scag and Gravely. I'm trying to like the "G". But I just can't swallow the higher price for the 252 compared to everything else out there and especially compared to Snapper Pro. If I liked the Snapper dealer as much as the Gravely/Scag guys, I probably wouldn't be here asking for advice That, and the Snapper Pro dealer near me left the machines he has in inventory sitting outside all Winter from last year. Said he could order new models, but then not much off List Price plus some frt charges to be passed along no doubt. And I'm thinking Briggs may sell off Snapper (or Simplicity) leaving it hard to get parts down the road. Not crazy about the Ferris dealer around here either, and he's not doing a lot of discounting even though he probably has a decent margin on the iS2100z w/the 29 HP EFI Briggs. He want $9800 for it without mulch kit. Does have the better adjustable air seat, but it should be closer to $8800 from a few posts I've seen around here, thank you.

Wiley Oops sorry for the double post

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017