Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mowing hybrid Bermuda at 1.25"-2", not puffy tall common Bermuda mowing here.

Not gonna walk or ride a sulky due to knees.

Lots are 1/3 acre or less

Lawns are usually undulating and often quite small with some hills and rarely any completely flat areas.

But no big hills and nothing where traction is a concern. Just enough up/down to make the prospect of doing it with a 21" a drag.

Bermuda is pretty tough so no rutting concerns in most cases, but light is always better.

Sod installs are often mediocre, most could use a nice topdressing to smooth them out, but almost nobody wants to pay for that. So mower has to be able to minimize gouging/scalping/cupping.

I use an Exmark Lazer HP 48" with pretty good results, but still have to use the 21" on at least parts of 35% of props, which is way higher than I want.

I have used an Emark 36" wb on similar props and noticed better results. But again, it costs time and effort to use and I can only have so many mowers on the trailer.

My question is, what mower do you use on your hybrid bermuda lawns and has it met your excpetations? (mine are very high for the end result)

I see several Walkers in these neighborhoods, but I do not want to bag and prefer mulching. Do the Walkers really handle these type lawns better due to the out-front deck and design elements?

·
Registered
53 Posts
What you need to make sure of is that you have as little trim side as posible due to gouging at those low cutting highs. I have 148z gravely and it has to much trim side. Look at the 46 inch Lazor Z hp or the 144z gravely.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Gravely, well actually Auburn Industries owned by Ariens (who owns Gravely) is reportedly coming out with either a 32" or 36" stand on unit.
I do have the 48" floating deck stand on units and the crews really prefer these to standard sit down riders. Cooler, better visibility, easier on the back even with suspension seats and I like the fact I can fit more of them on my trailers.
The 48" cuts very well, handles the different species of C4 turf here in central Texas quite well and has proven to be reliable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a gravely 260 with a 31 Kawi- this is only mower I purchased other than walker's in 16 yrs
we have walker bagging systems they are the best cut, but when u need speed and production Walker Super B is a Great machine for cut and speed Greg

·
Banned
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you need to make sure of is that you have as little trim side as posible due to gouging at those low cutting highs. I have 148z gravely and it has to much trim side. Look at the 46 inch Lazor Z hp or the 144z gravely.
You're quite correct. Ha...check my sig for which mowers I own already. I was hoping to improve on that even!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I have alot of my propperties that are the 419 Tiff Bermuda and none are as level as they should be. I will say that my Walker MT is the best mower I have ever used on these lawns. I have a 42 mulch deck and a 48 ghs deck. I preffer the ghs deck but the mulch deck works ok unless you are alittle behind. About the only time I scalp is human error and not the mower. If all you have is small areas you might want to demo a Walker MB with the 42" mulching deck. Don't you just love when people lay a grass that shows every flaw on a goat field.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love my walker on hybrid bermuda and zoysia alike. It don't take much to cut bermuda. I would recommed the mb with a dedicated mulch deck, or the super b with the 60" sd with a mulch kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.