1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

"Better" backpack and regular sprayers?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Sid Post, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Sid Post

Sid Post LawnSite Member

If my post is redundant or in the wrong section, please point me in the right direction as my search skills may be a bit weak on this site!

I live in rural East Texas and have over 1000 feet of driveway to the 'main' road. I am having an incredibly difficult time keeping Sweet Gum trees knocked back from barns, fences and, well house; basically everywhere. I also have more normal weeds and wines that need to be knocked down as well. :wall

First, I need a really good backpack sprayer and not some cheap import from any number of discount purveyors and homeowner farm/garden supply stores. I have already spent enough money at Harbor Freight, TSC, Atwoods, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. to probably pay for a family from overseas to move to Texas and cut weeds for a few years with hand tools. The Echo MS-41BPD (https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Sprayers/MS-41BPD) is one I'm starting to look at but, Chapin and others seem like well-regarded options as well. ~$300 seems like too much but, I expect to pay more than ~$100.

Secondly, for smaller jobs around the farmhouse and less toxic localized applications (thinking liquid fertilizers mainly), I'm considering the Echo MS-31H (https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Sprayers/MS-31H). Again, I'm not hung up on brand but, Echo seems to offer a really good product but Chapin and others I'm sure are worthy contenders for my money. $40~$60 seems like a reasonable price range for the better/best handheld sprayers but, I can be swayed upmarket some if there is a good reason to spend more (like a better wand, brass or stainless wand instead of a whippy plastic one, etc.).

The two reliable "Pro / Prosumer" brands I have relatively easy access to locally are Stihl (a big surprise I know ;)) and Echo. Chapin is randomly available in the cheaper mass market places like Atwoods and Tractor Supply otherwise, it is probably mail order or 'target of opportunity' when I travel to Shreveport / Dallas / Texarkana.

I have probably only scratched the surface of good options so, I welcome any insights you may have that I have overlooked.

Best Regards,
    Sid

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Stihl sprayers with good luck.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

I used redmax hand pump backpack sprayers with very good results for years. As in I still have 3. Price point was around $110 if I remember, they may be a bit more now.

Haven't used them for about 3 years because I went to battery. And don't ever plan on going back FWIW. Went through a few crappy $250ish battery backpacks then went with the Jatco and love it. Price point will be around $325ish. Have 2 of those now, had a small problem out of the box with one but customer service quickly sent out a replacement part. Battery life on those is remarkable. And has agitation.

4. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

I use the chapin backpack off Amazon for 40-50$?have used it on my property for 2 years no problem.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

6. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Senior Member

I graduated from Solo to Birchmeier which has to be the best. This year I will be using a Ryobi only because I am tired of pumping.

7. OP
    OP
    Sid Post

Sid Post LawnSite Member

Yes, I was a little surprised I didn't turn up any good threads.

8. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got the Milwaukee sprayer cause I had the 18v batteries/tools already and you can buy as many extra tanks for different chems as needed.

9. OP
    OP
    Sid Post

Sid Post LawnSite Member

The tank swaps are a nice feature but, those batteries and charger are very spendy if you don't already have Milwaukee power tools.

10. OP
    OP
    Sid Post

Sid Post LawnSite Member

Those Jatco sprayers look nice from the online perspective.

The PJB-C is a good bit cheaper and the 2-gallon model looks like a nice option for homeowners with modest needs. Are the main differences in the non-replaceable battery of lower capacity and the lack of agitation? The regular PJB seems to have an adjustable pressure as well. Their website and the YouTube reviews found were a bit vague and ambiguous in general though, the Jatco PJB certainly got a lot of positive comments overall.