Separate names with a comma.
Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.
Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by SharperImage, Jan 4, 2012.
I have to disagree a bit here, I don't have a smart phone yet just a plain jane octane from verizon and it is on the website, I do plan on getting a smartphone later this year though, Straighttalk has a 4g android coming sometime later this year, unlimited everything for $45/month no contracts. sounds like the way to go to me.
I've owned a blackberry since they first came out. I've tried an iphone and all the other touch screen phones, but can't get used to the touchscreen.
I think having a smartphone is VERY NECESSARY. Now of course you'll have an argument with someone who doesn't own one, because they don't know what they're missing.
This is how my day starts....
* wake up - CHECK MY BLACKBERRY CALENDAR to see what i have for the day
* click the weatherapp ON MY BLACKBERRY to get an idea of the conditions
* check my emails ON MY BLACKBERRY (because I tell all of my clients to email me after 6pm because I have a wife and a son that get my time when I get home from work)
* while on the job, if a customer has some idea or wants a quote, I make a quick note of the conversation in BLACKBERRY NOTES
* if they want a tree replaced, I make add it as a task in BLACKBERRY TASK
* most of my clients are just as busy as I am and can't always make a phone call (meetings, etc) so they'll shoot me a quick email during the day. BLACKBERRY handles that well
* i do online invoicing with Wells Fargo and when I'm at the clients home who hasn't paid and "forgot, are you sure"....boom, just click on the Wells Fargo app on my BLACKBERRY and show him/her that "invoice 010 is marked unpaid".
I could go on and on
the "necessity" argument is just dumb, imo.
you could cut a football field with a 22" toro push mower, so technically you don't "need" a 72" zero turn, right?
its about what makes the job faster and easier
We use the HTC thunderbolt which is an insane phone. The phone can do anything. The bonus to this phone is that you can take youtube videos and upload them to your site.
LawnXperts lawn care St. Cloud, MN
yo, i don't mean to call you out. but i clicked on your website just now.
you have LANDSCAPING spelled wrong! left column, under SNOW REMOVAL.
may wanna get that corrected asap
i'll argue that and i HAVE an iphone. most of the things you just mentioned aren't NECESSARY. are they nice, sure, but are necessary no.
i wake up every morning, eat breakfast and head to work. forget checking the weather app. if it's not raining when i go to work i'm starting my work and will continue to work until it's raining to much for me to get anything else done. when i get home i do my maintenance on my equipment, eat dinner, shower and check work email and return phone calls.
my schedule is always printed on paper the night before and ready to go out the door with me.
while it is nice to use apps to write down notes i personally use legal paper and a pen.
i may occassionally read an email i get during the day but most of the time i wait until the end of the day or until i'm home for the evening to read and respond to any emails.
well i know that if i start work at 8am and go from job to job not stopping to answer phone calls, emails or check weather apps i finish my work day easier and faster.
i'd much rather work 8am to 4pm and answer phone calls and emails after that when i'm home, than try and respond to phone calls and emails in between jobs and get home at 5pm instead.
As somebody already said, a smart phone is not a NECESSITY to run a business. But, if you and I are in the same neighborhood, and I get that email from a homeowner on the street, asking for a quote, I will respond immediately and possibly get the job, especially if I am on the street, I can do the lawn TODAY. My business won't tank with out a smartphone....I actually do not have one, but just ordered a Galaxy S2 from sprint....but I do believe that I will be more EFFICIENT in using my smart phone in conjunction with the software that I use to run my business.
In the end, if I can do things more efficiently, I can be more competitive with my pricing and still make the same money as those that need to charge more. Uh Oh, now I started an argument on low balling! LOL
Oh yeah, I forgot, Droid for me.