Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at a few different types a metals latley and have come to the conclusion that mowing blades that are available could be made alot stronger and made for lower maintanence.

A tungsten cobalt mix would make an excellant cutting blade.
Why do MFGs persist in making "mid Qaulity" blades that cost a fortune???

I saw a thread a while back that was posted by a guy called blademaker and there was alot of good ideas put together on that thread. Like replacable cutting tips etc.etc

I know a tungsten cobalt mix would be expencive but if I can get three or four time more wear out of them without sharpening I'm sold.

I just don't understand why MFGs don't utilize these stronger metals.
I was talking to a guy the other day that told me light bulb MFGs have had the ability to make light bulbs last for 20 years but have patented the idea and will not bring em out on to the market.(greedy buggers) I just makes me think if where sort of having the wool pulled over our eyes???

· Registered
1,275 Posts
to me the answer is obvious, weaker metal means more sharpening and more frequent replacement, hence more money for them. imo.

· Banned
11,101 Posts
apparently the cost of the indestructable blade exceds the cost of a reasonable sharpening.

the air mini die grinder can whip an edge on a blade that isn't in bad shape in seconds.

GEO

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Originally posted by pinnacle
I know a tungsten cobalt mix would be expencive
There's your reason. Mfg's/suppliers have a mind set of having to have the cheapest, leading to volume of sales, they all think they're WalMart. I agree, with the quality you speak of, also wonder if there'd be a problem with being too brittle, tip breakage and flying projectiles.

Here's a high dollar blade, not too much info available on the site though.
http://www.shreditblades.com/

· Banned
2,959 Posts
Originally posted by BSDeality
*waits for a reply from meg-mo.....*

yah, i don't understand it either, why not use carbide? or some decent metal that won't dull when i hit a damn stick.
What would you use to sharpen it? You need a diamond blade to sharpen carbide, wouldn't you?
Crawdad

· Registered
36 Posts
My distributer just got in some flat blades that are sharpened on both sides. These blades do not have any pitch to them. He told me you just "Turn em over and keep on going." Has anyone tried them. Seems they might not discharge correctly or throw out a lot of clumps. Also might not have any lift causing the need for double cutting. I asked these questions but he said he uses them on his machine without problems. Your thoughts are appreciated before I try them. It is an interesting concept but sounds to good to be true!

· Registered
3,160 Posts
cajuncreole, i got a pair for my gravely WB, they didn't last more than 2 passes, i wasn't happy with the cut. the simple truth is that you need lift to get a proper cut. unless you're mowing some really thin grass.

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
, also wonder if there'd be a problem with being too brittle, tip breakage and flying projectiles.
Nah not with a cobalt tungsten carbide mix. Emergencie services down here run cobalt tungsten carbide mix in all there chains for there saws. You see these guys sawing through concret and metal with those chains. Cobalt is one of the hardest metals known.

You guys are all right in what you are saying and that is why we invented the MEG MO blades. There are rules that blades have to met and when they do you are in for some sharping.
Meg Mo: What are the swingback knifes on your unit made out of??

· Registered
3,464 Posts
try hand filing . u wont need any tougher metal. a blade should keep good edge for three days of cutting . variables being sand, mow conditions and what u mowing... a hand filed blade will hold a fairly sharp edge all wk.takes about 20 minutes to sharpen 3 blades.myself ,i just drive one castor,, up the ramp and sharpen on the machine every 3rd day.
then once an a while u hit the dog cable leash[today] . then u start with a grinder to get things shaped up.

· Registered
437 Posts
I think replaceable blade tips is an outstanding idea. I worked for a large bearing mfg. for seven years, which is actuallty just a large machine shop. They used replacable carbide and ceramic inserts in their tooling. So when one got dull, they just replaced it with a new one. However, i dont think carbide would be a good choise, because carbide shatters opon impact. Like Pinnacle mentioned above, if they were made of cobalt or nicaloy, and you could just loosen one bolt per blade insert , then replace or sharpen depending on cost that would be cool.

What do yall think ?

· Registered
14,876 Posts
What is the MSRP of the blade tips for the Meg-Mo blades? Are they that much cheaper than replacing the whole blade as to justify the cost of the whole kit?

· Registered
370 Posts
Metals that are denser and harder and would stay sharp longer, are also more brittle. The manufacturers don't want a shattered blade being thrown from the mower causing serious injury.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
quality sells to a point. hypothetically speaking, if someone could invent a blade that hardly ever needed sharpening or replacing he would in effect have set in motion the events leading to his own obsilencence.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.