1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Better mpg on Chevy 350 TBI

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zz4guy, May 1, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 92 K2500 with the 350 and TBI injection. Right now I get about 10mpg in the city and 13mpg if I'm lucky on the highway.

Is there a way to improve the mileage at ALL? I've heard of people advancing the timing on these motors to improve mileage. Does that work? I can already tell the motor has lazy timing. Any other ideas? THanks.

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

not to many things you can do on a gas engine, make sure your oil and tranny fluids are fresh, clean air filter also.

3. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

The thing is I get 20mpg in my camaro on the highway with the same motor and gearing with a carburetor. I'm not worried about city miles- I know they will suck. But why cant I get good highway mpgs? It's a real downer when I see something I want 300 miles away and figure I have to shell out $200 in gas :confused:

4. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

buy a 02-04 diesel if you want 20+ mpg

5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerodynamics, 4x4, and level of fueling.

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

What he said. Your 2500 probably outweighs your Camaro by 2500 lbs. or more, and comparably has the aerodynamics of a brick. Is that mileage towing or solo? Also, big tires or a heavy foot will kill mileage.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

On my 94 GMC 2500 with the 350 V8 TBI, I got really bad gas milage as well. I put a k&n air filter on it, complete tune-up, ran some injector cleaner through it, and a flowmaster dual exhaust. The stock system chokes back that 350 so much that you need to open it up. I got about 12-13 in the city and 16-18 on the highway after that. And it was 4x4, 3 inch body lift, and 33 inch BFG all terrains!!!

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

dont feel bad -i get 10 mpg from my 93 1500 with 305 while towing and its bone stock. my neighbor has 88 1500 w/350 with all the mods-no cats-flomaster -k/n he gets 12 mpg not towing anything- mpg isnt these trucks strong suite!

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ive got a 97 k2500 and have come to accept the lousy gas mileage as it makes me money. I will soon be doing some work like Tom described above to improve mine.

10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

From years as a mechanic, I can tell you there are good ones and bad ones.
    Two vehicles with the same everything can be very different in the power & mileage department. It's not always a trade off.... some of them have economy and power.
    It seems to be something in the engine machining/measurements/setup..... hard parts.
    I've tried to swap over bolt-on parts to try to change things, but it seems to be something it's "born with".
    A friend of mine has a Tahoe, 4X4, 5.7L with Buckshot Mudders that can pull a trailer and get better mileage than I can get bobtail in my Dakota 4.7 4WD.