1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

better truck for pulling

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by befnme, Jul 2, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i just traded my f150 for an f250 6.0 diesel and the difference is night and day . i would recomend this truck to anyone wanting a great pulling truck . i can pull my tractor with front bucket and mower around with a truck full of gear .at 70 mph down the intrstate and only turn 2000 rpm .while still getting around 13 mpg.

2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

WAS THE investment worth it if nothing was wrong with the 150? the 150 could do 70 the engine might be getting a lil more abuse but tyhats all if its maintained theres no issue

3. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I don't agree. Yes, maintenance can take care of alot of things. BUT, transmissions, suspension components, differentials take alot of abuse.

I tow with an 04 Tacoma. It gets the job done, but not as easy as a larger truck and will not last quite as long because it is working harder.

4. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

no matter what you do a 150 will never be a great tow rig, not ony the engine but the transmission, rear end, suspension, etc all arent designed for pulling a heavy load. no amount of maintnence will fix that. not to mention he was probably illegal pulling around a tractor

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

How much weight is that you're towing exactly??

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I have a 94 F150 heavy half ton and it pulls my new 16 ft enclosed around loaded with equipment with no problem. It has a E4OD tranny which is used from this F150 up to a F350. But I have to agree with you to a point, I only anticipate running this truck for another 2 years topps. Then its a DIESEL!!!!!:weightlifter: My neighbor just bought a 05 Dodge with a Cummings Turbo and he tows a 35ft. camper trailer and it tows it like its not even there and still gets in the mid to high teens for fuel mileage.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hope you dont run into all of the problems others have with that 6.0 diesel. Welcome to the world of turbo diesels...:clapping:

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

well today i just picked up 4 pallets of sod .3 on the trailer and 1 in the bed . and the 250 didnt even flinch. i have a 33 horse kabota with the front bucket and a grasshopper z . didnt flinch with that either .

9. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you guys are doing better than me. i have 99 silverado 1500 (92000 miles) pulling a g.d.36" w.b. and 52" s.s. g.d. around town and im getting 12.75(i figure) mpg. i put 20$ in my truck today at 3.04.9 a gallon it hurts

10. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

do i need a tune up or what, i mean the 52" weights roughly 1050 pounds and 36" maybe 500 pounds and a 6.5*12' trailer?