Lawn Care Forum banner

Better way to change reg oil for synthetic?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  HealthTurf 
#1 ·
Hi - I was just wondering when I should change reg oil on my new lazer z KAI 28hp (11 hours) for synthetic. My friend says it's better to wait untill it has hit 50-100 hours. And how should I change it? Do I have to "clean" engine before putting in synthetic?

#2 ·
I always used to do it right at the first oil change, soon as the break-in period is over, I believe this to be around 8 hours but read what the manual says. As for myself and as of last year I now run synth right from the start, the entire time from 0 hours out.
Your choice but the standard mentality says you should do it right after break-in.

As for how you do it, just like any regular oil and filter change, nothing special to it other than put synth in it.
Also make SURE you have at least one extra quart left over, buy one if you need to, keep this in your truck so if the machine ever needs oil you already know where it is and what kind.

Other stuff: I got to where I'm almost to the point of using 10w-30 synth throughout.
I got tired of trying to remember what goes where, so I got a few quarts of 5w-30 and 10w-40 left but at the latest by 2009 I'll be running all one grade in every machine (makes it simple when anything runs low on oil).

#3 ·
Ok, guys, I just got a new 44" Toro, I guess synthetic is ok in this? and if so, what kind?
30 weight? 5w-30? Also brands?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.