BG86 issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by StratsRock, Nov 10, 2017.

1. StratsRock

StratsRock LawnSite Member

I have a 3 year old BG86 that runs flawlessly once started. The problem is getting it started. It acts like it floods almost immediately. The only way I can start it is to not choke, don’t prime and hold the throttle wide open. After about a dozen pulls it starts and chugs like it’s flooded. Clears out and then runs great. Just don’t turn it off. Spark arrester has been removed. I appreciate your insight in to what may be the problem.

sehitchman likes this.
  2. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

You want another one, been on the shelf in the shed for 3 years. Dealer gave up on it and so did I. Same issues as you.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

our twoin first year hard to start....got to use percise procedure..loser

4. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry Ed, but you're going to need to translate that message. I'd love to know.
    Start procedure from overnight cold
    Start procedure from run two hours ago
    Start procedure from warm/hot restart

I've spent hours, trying everything the manual states to Web suggestions, and my own trial and error, had to give up on it or have elbow and shoulder reconstruction.

5. StratsRock

My starting procedure is fine. I have no problem with my other 86. Just the one.

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Can I assume you have changed the plug :laugh:

But have you changed brands.....We run a TS 400 cut off saw. Put a Champion in there, it runs great, but very hard to start, same with NGK. But it now uses Bosch plugs, no problem starting cold, warm or hot..... Don't know why.o_O

sehitchman and JLSLLC like this.
  7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya might try swappin' the coil out from yer other one. No better, then the carb is causing it to flood. If ya ain't got the wherewithal to repair it, ( even then it's a crapshoot ) just replace it.

hort101 likes this.
  8. StratsRock

Thanks, I’m leaning more to replacing the carb. Have you had any luck with the aftermarket carbs?

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Start up initially......press primer set the choke and start pulling 4 times.....if I mess up and knock the choke off .....then I am in mode of trying everything.

10. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

The OEM carbs aren’t that expensive. Aftermarket sometimes work, sometimes dont. Maybe try this first before you replace anything. It sounds like the carb MAY be leaking. Tilt the tube end up, maybe at a 45 degree angle.
    Remove the a/f cover and a/fo element. Just let it sit. If it is leaking, you will see fuel coming out of the inner a/f hsg. A plugged ex screen can give you the same symptom. As they clog, they cause excessive back pressure which wets the a/f, which is a dry element. It just adds to the problem.

hort101 and JLSLLC like this.