1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Bid Help

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jsf343, Apr 19, 2007.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, everyone has needed help with a bid or two at some point. Now I need a little help if some of you don't mind.
    I did a walk through on a Catholic church property today. It was very large with a ton of turf to be cut. in fact I would estimate close to 6 acres. All of it is flat, there are trees here and there but nothing that should be to much of a hindrance. Looks like approximately 1 hours worth of edging for 1 guy. They do not care if we mulch most of the time. I havnt bid on anything this large before and feel a little out of my pond. If we were to get this property I would go out today and buy a ztr, most likely a scag tiger cub or along those lines. I feel like we are just shy of having what we need equipment wise (larger mower anyway) From what the man said it took a Hispanic guy close to 8 hours time just to mow. I am figuring with a good ztr and the equipment we have now we could do it in roughly 4 to 6 hours. ( I am estimating high) this is a 2 man crew. I was thinking in the $200.00 to $250.00 range to cover cost per week on this property. Anyone have anything similar? and where would you start to be competitive? $350.00 to $500.00 range? (a week) feedback please.

thanks,

Jeff

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

8 hours just to mow 6 acres? What was he using, a 32" belt drive WB without a sulky?

With a 54 or 60" deck Z you should be able to get that(mowing only) done in 2-3 hours easily provided it's not real bumpy and(as you said) there aren't too many obstacles.

Though churches generally are cheap, I'd start at $380 if it's a true 6 acres. If there's a ton of trimming(long fences, etc) i'd start around 425 or higher depending on the amount of trimming and/or edging. If they are cheap(and likely they are), then fine, they can find someone else to do it.

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking along those lines too. I have no clue what he was using, maybe a push mower.:laugh: I am trying to use worst case scenario's though as far as time goes.