1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bid on 13 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Jul 16, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What would you bid on a 13.8 lot. Its flat and rectangular is shape, with NO weedeating and no blowing. There are no obsticles at all. Keep in mind I'd be using 2-61" Grasshoppers.

2. Depending on travel this is 5-6 man hours<br>door to door if the grasshoppers can mow 3 acres per hour. So take labor and equipment costs for 6 hours then add desired gross profit margin to obtain a selling price.

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe my math is wrong but, I have it where each mower at 80% eff. at about 6 mph can mow 3 acres per hour with a 61&quot; deck. With 2 mowers you have 6 acres per hour. Therefore your time is about 2.5 hours for mowing. So with two people that is about 5 to 6 man hrs. So maybe my math is right.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: LoneStarLawn

4. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

$350 minimum and thats if it is within 5 miles from my storage unit, doesn't have any rocks, seems to have few hazards, and I believe that the owner seems honest and will pay on time. If these other conditions are not met then up to $550.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had submitted a bid before I posted this thread. I wanted to see what kind of quotes I would get. My bid was $300, based on 6 man hours. Thanks for your input!

7. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

let us know if you get it. I bet you will not. That would take us 5.5 hours with 2 toro 62&quot;s at $35 an hour. We will be making money and leave the rough terrain, small, tight lots to your operation. Every JOB HAS GOT TO BE BID DIFFERENTLY! Sure 14 acers worth of 1/2 acre residential work with trimming and blowing will bring in $700 - to $900, but wide open mowing is plain easy.