1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Bid on 50 acre school grounds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by josco, Mar 26, 2007.

1. josco

josco LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

This would be the largest job I've ever done. I have always mowed solo. This would be all I would need for the mowing portion of my business. I am currently doing 75% chemical lawn care, 15% plant installations, 10% mowing. I am thinking either hire one guy or use a sub. Bidding this at 40 per acre = $2000.00 per cut. I know this would take at least 3 days with 2 guys mowing. I feel hesitant about taking something this large on. Is anyone currently mowing something this size? Is this too much to even consider? Is it possible with just 2 guys? Is 40 per acre reasonable? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

what size cut mowers are you using? and how many?

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Sad to say but if there are other companies bidding, at 40/acre you probably won't get it simply because it's school grounds. From what I've seen, they go cheap, way too cheap.

4. GMP

GMP LawnSite Member

What part of ohio are you in?

5. GMP

GMP LawnSite Member

I am from the Medina area and looking for extra work

6. William Camp

William Camp LawnSite Member

I just lost a school bid and i bid it at$ 20.00 an archer the winning was $12.50 sorry.

7. josco

josco LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Answering 2 questions, I would be using 2, 60 inch ztr's. Also I am from southwest ohio.

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

you are going to be looking at around 20 an acre to even be close to competitive.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This is where bat wings and other super large area mowers come in and make the money. I would have a 52 for the smaller grounds and a tractor with a 16-24' reel mower on it. these bids are just to get it cut not to make it look good. I see our schools here and puke when I pick up my kid. tons of clover and weeds. and these are less than 2 year installs. million dollar landscaping for 2 schools and looks like crap.

10. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I just bid on one and lost. its 59 acres and the winning bid was 16.35 per acre by a company that has to drive from 40 miles away. Most of the bids were in the 18 to 22 dollar/acre range. Schools only look for the cheapest bid.